VU Meters on Mixer

I've just started here and I am also in the process of building up a low-end but usable sound package. I have an Azden FMX-42a 4-channel field mixer along with a Zoom H4n recorder.

Something perplexes me on the mixer. If I have nothing attached to it's output channels and I press the 1 kH tone button, the VU meters read at 0 volume units (100%), which is normal. If I then attach my XLR cables to the output, and the output is set on Mic or Line, everything is still hunky dory. But, if I add an attenuator anywhere on the XLR cable, the VU meters will drop down to around -3 volume units (70%).

I will then get further drops if I connect into the H4n recorder on Line output, whether or not I attach an attenuator, but not if I set output to Mic.

It just seems odd to me that I would see these kind of VU drops during the 1 kH tone from the mixer because of equipment down the audio chain. Is this normal mixer behavior?

Thanks for any help.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I was concerned about buying Azden (I would never buy any of their current crop of mics) but because of my budget and after research about it's specs, plus feedback from others, I decided to go with it.

So far, I am pleased (and relieved) with it's performance. The noise floor so far appears to be very low; it has many features, including the ability to output to two separate recorders (or cameras) because of it's use of a 10-pin Hirose connector for a breakaway cable plus it's 2 standard XLR connectors, etc.

If the VU meter thing turns out to be a non-issue, then I will be VERY pleased, especially for the price.

Back