Light Meter...No 18 fps??

I have my eye on a light meter. It's a Sekonic. Listed fetures say it has fps settings for 16 & 24 fps but not 18fps. My camera films at 18 fps. Will it be a big factor that the light meter can't be set for the same frame rate as the camera??

Short answer, I don't know.

However, you're thinking about it oddly. Light isn't measured in frames per second. Light is measured in shutter speed (seconds) and aperture (f-stop).

So, the first thing to figure out is what shutter speed you're shooting at. In 24fps world, the shutter is open half the time ("180 degrees" out of 360) which translates into 1/48th of a second.

I never heard of a camera that shoots 18fps as a standard. You may want to check the manufacturer and specs. Some cameras vary the framerate and CAN shoot 18fps, and if you want to match the look to the 24fps footage you use a 180 degree shutter, which equals 1/36th of a second.

So, back to your lightmeter, does it have a setting for 1/36th second, and more importantly, is this what your camera is doing?

smiley_teach.gif
Some light-meters have a "cine-wheel" on them, on the same dial as the shutter speed. You can adjust it based on your fps, for tiny corrections.

Last edited:
http://www.cameramanuals.org/flashes_meters/sekonic_l-28c2.pdf

The red "cine" scale does show fps on those models. The numbers on the dial that line up below it correspond to the reading on the meter. Spin until your reading lines up with your fps - in your case approximate - and use the indicated stop.

There's math you can use to be more accurate, but since you have super8 you'll want to do tests anyway. Just imagine there are hash marks inbetween 16 and 24 (17 .. 18 .. and so on) and line up your reading on that mark. A few test shots should tell you if you are under or over. There might be a way to score a mark there so you can use it without thinking about it.

Also, it's an old meter - it might be slightly off calibration anyway. :) Nothing wrong with that, just helps to know if it is off by a significant amount.

Last edited:
Back