Super 8 !

I think someone on this forum (I can't remember who, though) bought a Canon 518 off ebay a while ago.
edit: http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?t=25582

In general Canon Super 8 cameras are good Super 8 cameras,
I am a little confused about the "Main features" the seller listed, though:
"18 fps normal film speed and a 40 fps film speed during slow motion filming for super quality footage"

as, if you plan on using Super 8 to make shortfilms and/or getting the footage telecined, 24 fps would be a big advantage.
the super8wiki lists a 24 fps function on the Canon 518 AZ page, so you'd better ask the seller about it before you purchase the camera.

Last edited:
well the main reason is that movies are shot at 24 fps, that's why many digital cameras today also have a 24p function - to get closer to the "film look".
but what's more interesting for you is that PAL DVDs and TV run at 25 fps, and no matter at what frame rate you shoot, the footage, after telecine and after you burnt it on a DVD, will most likely run at 25 fps.
so if you shot at 18 fps everything moves really fast, whereas speeding up 24 to 25 fps is not that obvious.
that's also how slow motion works, if you shoot at 40 fps and play it at 25 fps everything appears to be slower.

Last edited:
confused about the "Main features" the seller listed, though:
"18 fps normal film speed and a 40 fps film speed during slow motion filming for super quality footage"

It's not that big a deal that it only shoots at 18fps. :cool:

Before sound-movies (and the soundtrack actually being part of the film print), 14 to 18 fps was the usual speed - 'cos that used the least amount of filmstock to get away with a fairly realistic illusion of smooth motion.

You just need to make sure that the lab who does your telecine knows that it was filmed at 18fps, and that playback is also supposed to be 18fps. If you 'cine to miniDV tape, you'll be getting any footage back at 29.97 (or for PAL, 25) anyways via some kind of pulldown.

Yes, the 40fps mode is for slow-mo. It burns through your film at 40fps, but gets played back at "regular" speed to look like slo-mo. (Once again, your lab would need to know the intended playback speed)

Before you buy the camera, make sure it actually works. Have fun! :)

I shot my first feature on Super-8 at 18 fps then transferred to Beta SP. It looked fine. Trying to sync production sound to it was a nightmare, though! If you're shooting silent you should be fine, as long as you can find a decent transfer facility.

I, too, look forward to NickClapper’s explanation.

The 514 is a fine super 8 camera. Shooting without a crystal sync
motor has it’s challenges. Okay, I’ll say it; syncing is a pain in
the ass - even a “nightmare” would be an appropriate term. And
shooting at 18fps adds to the difficulty. But it can be done. You
just have to get very creative.

All shooting on film is more challenging than shooting on consumer
video cameras. Ever thought of holding out until you can afford a
camera that shoot 24fps?

Looks like a fine camera. Seller reckons it all works okay. You should ask if there's any fogging on the lens (hard to tell from pic #3)

If you intend to use it for scenes with dialogue, keep the takes really short so it will be somewhat easier to sync up later.

In order to stick up for not-very-technical filmmakers everywhere, I will explain my point by highlighting select words from your statement of 'support'.

The 514 is a fine super 8 camera. Shooting without a crystal sync
motor has it’s challenges. Okay, I’ll say it; syncing is a pain in
the ass
- even a “nightmare” would be an appropriate term. And
shooting at 18fps adds to the difficulty. But it can be done. You
just have to get very creative.

All shooting on film is more challenging than shooting on consumer
video cameras. Ever thought of holding out until you can afford a
camera that shoot 24fps?

These are just indicators of how I feel about doing things in an overly complex way just for the sake of having done it in the aforementioned complex way.

:P

You should look up garage sales & thrift shops. A friend of mine gave me 4 old super 8 cameras few years ago. She picked it up in bulk for like 10 bucks at a garage sale. I threw away 2 of em during a move. Should have ebayed..... sigh

syncing is a pain in
the ass - even a “nightmare” would be an appropriate term.

With my movie, I think I would've had an easier time today than back in 1989. With digital editing, you can do so many amazing things now to adjust the audio to fit - stretching it, compressing it, nudging it by fractions of a frame, etc. (definitely still a PITA, though).

Back then, I transferred everything to a cuts-only, tape-to-tape U-matic system and tried to sync it that way. :lol: Like trying to perform brain surgery with a meat cleaver. :rolleyes:

Back