Sony Z1 mounting bolt

Hello everyone,

I was hoping that someone could tell me what size/type of bolt i need to screw directly into the bottom of my Z1.

Cheers,
Jonny

yeah, the mount thread thanks. Went down to B&Q but they didn't have anything,looks like i'll be hitting the internet for 1 bolt, jeez. The Z1 is just a Sony prosumer camera.

Thanks for the info tho! :)

What are you trying to mount it to? (Sometimes you will want to do it so the screw can turn freely in whatever you are mounting it to, and a little flexible washer/clip holds the screw in so that the camera can be drawn to the mount instead of being spun around a bolt and end up not straight in line and tight.)

Not sure that makes sense, but I can elaborate and/or show you a picture or something if you need it.

-Thanks-

Thank you that does make sense. I'm trying to mount it to to a shoulder support system i've made but the plate i'm attaching it to has a screw thread already going through it but the bolt i currently have isn't quite long enough to safely secure the camera. Seems i need a whitworth bolt which is proving slightly difficult to get my hands on.

I made it from two 1.5" wide 1.5mm thick sheets of steel that i bonded together. I was worried it would be too flexible and bouncy buy it turned out pretty well. Still need to counter balance the back a little more though. Still trying to find the best solution for it.

How about you? What was the piece?

for the mount, you DONT want the hole threaded in the plate... makes it very difficult to tighten and keep the camera straight as earlier said.

However, I do like my bolts to not fall out and get lost if the camera is dismounted. So you need to put some retainer to keep the bolt from falling out (if you care.. )

Me, I cheat... I tap the mounting plate hole like you did. Then I grind the threads off of the bolt that are closest to the HEAD of the bolt. Enough to allow the bolt to turn freely once its threaded through the hole. This way I can turn the bolt into the nut on the camera without worry. Bit more pain than its realy worth.. I also just keep lots of extra 1/4 X 20 bolts of various lengths. In fact, any hole, nut, or bolt that I need for my DIY projects is 1/4 X 20. Keeps it simple.

Yeah the retainer kind of clips I use are usually just a ultra thin copper washer that is tight enough to hold the screw from falling out (Like a nut) but still allows it to turn. It's easier if whatever you are mounting to is countersunk so that the clip or washer is down in the little well.

I had a nice like 20mm double rod piece that I was going to use as the camera platform, but it got all busted to hell in the bottom of junk bucket number 5, and I'm out of pieces of stock steel and stuff for now, so no making one unless I use wood or who knows what, but blah. (I'm kind of all built out at the moment.)

When you get it sorted post some pics, your dolly was nice, so I can't wait to see the shoulder rig.

-Thanks-

I like your idea to grind it off Wheat, it's just as easy as as using a clip of somekind.

I'm almost the same way with 1/4-20, I had/have 3 boxes of them in the mix, and can now spot one in nut or bolt from across the room. It might be the nerdiest thing I've ever said, but it's a good (practical) size.

I went through 3 1/4 -20 taps this summer, it's like breaking a guitar string x 1000 when you snap one off, then a real pisser when the tip is stuck in whatever you are working on.

-Thanks-

Hey guys,

I managed to find a bolt off a really old tripod that i found kicking around which has worked like a charm but i still think i'll take your advice and drill another hole without a thread. Its still not quite finished as i need to counter balance it more at the back although i should point out i designed this more for use with DSLRs although it seems to still be very sturdy with the bigger Sony Z1. Any counter balance suggestions welcome.

5.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

3.jpg

1.jpg

I think the problem with the bolt issue in the UK is that when we switched from imperial to metric the thread size changed with it making them more difficult to get hold of... i may be talking complete bollocks though.

Looks great! I couldn't have done a better job myself.

What did you make the handles from?
(I was going to use some bike parts on mine, but I can't tell if you machined some, or if they are from something.)

How long is it?
(I was unsure on the lenght to go for... I've never seen a modern shoulder rig in person, so I didn't really know where to begin.)

-Thanks-

They are bike parts too actually. Just nice new ones i got from Halfords. The ends of them are pretty special though as they unscrew to hold a little tool kit.

I custom made this one to fit my shoulder but the rails you can buy are always between 14" and 16" in length and exactly 60mm apart and 15mm rails. If you don't use 15mm rails 60mm apart then any other attachments you may want to use like DOF adapters etc probably wont be compatible. With this in mind i made my rails 17" long and then worried about how i needed it to fit my shoulder and where. Really quite an easy project in the end but a very satisfying one and one that i personally feel looks good enough that i wouldn't feel embarrassed to arrive on set with it.

Tool kit is a good idea, also good to know on the common use sizes.

I agree, it does look good enough to not be embarassed.
(Actually it looks better in a toned down way than some of the pro one's I have seen.)

-Thanks-

Back