Audio Experiences with the GH1

For those of you who own a Lumix, you already know that unlike Canon DSLRs, Panasonic has decided to use a sub-mini mic input. This can be adapted with a simple mini to sub-mini plug from radioshack, but does this have an adverse affect on the audio coming into the camera?

I am considering buying a beachtek to use with my DSLR when shooting solo. My only concern is that the input needing an adapter cause problems in sound quality.

Does anyone have experience with the Lumix and beachteks or dealing with the mic input issue?

I guess this is going to become the new mantra for a couple of months until the word gets out and sinks in...

A DSLR is a still camera that can also shoot video. The audio implementation is minimal to nonexistent. First, all AGC controls need to be disabled. Second, the audio pre-amps are crap. A mixer/pre like the juicedLink or the BeachTek will improve the sound somewhat (depending upon the camera and skill of the operator) as well as giving real-time control over the audio. The audio will still be noisier than with a prosumer camcorder, which will be noisier than a dedicated digital audio recorder.

The rest is standard audio knowledge/skills - signal chain, S/N ratio, gain-staging, phantom power, mic choices, boom technique, etc.

This isn't as a primary shooting system and I am aware of the shortcoming of DSLRs. I'm looking for a way to gain better audio when shooting solo and can't have a sound recordist. For interviews, I can run dual solo, but for shooting doc stuff while moving around, it would be nice to get the best sound I can. There are some places I have filmed and will be filming that require good low light response, a discreet/small setup, and an ability to be very mobile.

I have found a solid solution for recording interviews and studio work without using the Zoom H4. My brother has an XLR to USB signal adapter and I am borrowing that to record into Pro Tools a laptop. A nice solution for the gain issues discussed before.

Back