Live action films which also use animation

Hi everyone - doing some research and I'm hoping someone out there can help me! I'm trying to find films which combine live action with animation a la Mary Poppins orLook Both Ways.

Any suggestions would be HUGELY appreciated :)

Last edited:
The Incredible Mr Limpet : Link to trailer

& Tron :cool:

& Cool World

& Pink Floyd "The Wall" (maybe not so much this one)

& Garfield

& Pete's Dragon

...and can't recall the name of it, but it was by Disney waaaay back in the day. B/W, with a live man on stage who interacts with a fat shy animated brontosuraras, and the man ends up falling into the animation somehow. It's now part of the travelling Cinesauraus museum display, that I saw a few months ago.

Last edited:
Umm, I assume you're talking about old-school hand-painted animation, right? Cuz otherwise, that list is very long, and includes pretty much every studio sci-fi made since "T2".

I'm surprised I'm the first to mention the most notorious one ever made -- "Song of the South".

That movie with the guy who turns into a fish - the guy that looks kind of like Gilligan but isn't.

Also, what about that movie about the rooster - the rooster that sings like Elvis.

Or what about Cool City or whatever,

and Who Framed Roger Rabbit.

lol what about that horrible Lord of the Rings from the 80s - I don't know WHAT to call that...

What about Bedknobs and Broomsticks?

EDIT - I obviously didn't read the posts above me... I am ashamed...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbixL1-RTC4

OH how could I forget one of the best ones of all:

THE PAGEMASTER!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-gJr7iU6kI

Last edited:
Anchors Away
Song of the South
Little Shop of Horrors
Enchanted
The Spongebo Squarepants Movie
The Reluctant Dragon
The Three Caballeros
Saludos Amigos
Fun and Fance Free
So Dear to My Heart
Coonskin
Xanadu
The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle
Looney Tunes: Back in Action

Zensteve might be talking about Gertie the Dinosaur (1914)

Thanks soooo much everyone! Very useful stuff...

I'm applying for a film school and we need to do a pitch - so I'm pitching feature film (live action) where the main character is constantly drawing and escaping their reality by diving into the world of their drawings, hence the animation...

I know most of you are from the States but the best example I can think of is an Aussie flick called Look Both Ways...

Any other suggestions??

Thanks a bundle!

I’m not sure if it fits the bill, but there is an 80’s flick One Crazy Summer (Demi Moore - John Cusack) where Cussack’s character is like a cartoonist wannabe, and (I think) a few times through out the movie we see his frustrations or thoughts or how he wished things would be manifest from line drawings to fully animated comedic interludes that he voices over, but there isn’t any combined live action/animation interaction that I recall.

-Thanks-

That movie with the guy who turns into a fish - the guy that looks kind of like Gilligan but isn't.
I know the film you're talking about, but I can't remember the name. It stars Don Knotts... ok it's called The Incredible Mr Limpet
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058230/

ROC said:
Also, what about that movie about the rooster - the rooster that sings like Elvis.

It's called Rock-a-Doodle. Loved that movie growing up!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7axM3VHFqs

Last edited:
Umm, I assume you're talking about old-school hand-painted animation, right? Cuz otherwise, that list is very long, and includes pretty much every studio sci-fi made since "T2".

I'm surprised I'm the first to mention the most notorious one ever made -- "Song of the South".

Notorious indeed. A buddy and I tracked that down not too long ago because we could only remember the animated portions. Pretty sure those were re-run on TV during cartoon time when I was a kid, without the bracketing "live action" story.

Holy crap. We couldn't make straight through the whole thing. I mean seriously. Wow. Okay, so the animated characters were bad enough, but WOW. The bracket story. Holy Crap. It's like ROOTS, if it had been written by Strom Thurmond and directed by David Duke.

Also, Natural Born Killers does a bit of animation from time to time as well. Most of the others I can think of are already listed.

I want to say there was more of this done in the silent era than indicated by the list - but I can't think of any at the moment that aren't simply hand tinted or using some other practical effect.

Back