live recording to HD with HV30

Hi!

Im using Canon HV30 and wounder how I can record straight from the camera to the harddrive?

• which program can I capture with? Final Cut - in that case - how?
  • I connect it as usually with the firewire, any settings I have to make in the camera?
  • I dont need any tape in the cam right? I can record straight into the HD
thanks

Perik

Ideally, you'd want to use a Black Magic Intensity card, it'll let you record full HD, before it's run through the HDV conversion circuits via the HDMI port on the Canon HV..

I know there's a program like DV Rack (now Adobe OnLocation) for mac, forget the name of it though...

ok thanks.

can you go HDMI to firewire? (guess not)

If Im stuck with firewire, I tried with the Adobe OnLocation and got a file format called .m2t . What kind of fileformat is that? is it low res or is it in good resolution? how do I convert it to .mov?

If Im stuck with firewire, I tried with the Adobe OnLocation and got a file format called .m2t . What kind of fileformat is that? is it low res or is it in good resolution? how do I convert it to .mov?

.m2t is basically an .mpeg file. My HF200 records in that format, and it's HD, although I don't know if simply having that filetype means it's definitely HD.

To find out I would import the m2t into your editor and see what frame rate pops up :)

Theirs a group of folks doing just this, and using cineform neoscene in real time.. crazy idea that.. good luck an interesting challenge...

your going to need a LOT of disk space, and FASTTTT

Pretty sure you will have lag of a second or so, my HV30 lagged when using firewire to my macbook pro, that's for playback but if you are recording i would it expect it to have the same problem. Which i guess doesn't matter too much?

Sorry if i'm not making a great deal of sense, been a long day.

ok thanks.

can you go HDMI to firewire? (guess not)

.m2t is the mpeg2 format that hdv is recorded in.. the specifics would be dependent on the onlocation settings. I'm pretty sure it can be configured to spit out an mov instead of m2t... but I personally prefer to use the cineform intermediate codec for editing anyway.

Back