• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Trailer: James vs Reality

I've finally finished my first live action film, James vs Reality (very exciting for me!) The whole journey making the films humbling but exciting and I certainly learned a lot.

I'm the writer, director, editor, did all the color correction, sound, music, as well as doing most all of the visual effects. This was my first time doing visual effects in a film. We did the film on a $0 budget!

Here's a quick trailer I put together for finishing the film:

http://www.vimeo.com/15135199

I hope everyone will enjoy the film. We packed in a lot of crazy fun (and laughs) into it!

Last edited:
That's great. How did you get the airplane set?

I made a lot of calls to some airlines in the area and luckily one of them said 'come on over' and allowed us to film for a few hours on a test fuselage they had in a hangar (which I'm very grateful of!)

For a $0 budget this is very impressive! Looks like it could be a lot of fun.

Thanks everyone! We really tried to make the film as fun as possible. We'd seen a lot of indie films, and most were very slow moving, uninteresting artsy pieces. We wanted to make something that was constantly entertaining. I think it came out very funny (which the trailer doesn't really hit on), very epic and just a lot of fun. For a first film, and how much we had to piece it together out of nothing, I'm proud of how it came out!

Proves my point.

It's funny because people ask me "Wow you've never been to Film School? How do you know so much about sound?"

And I tell them this:

If you could see and hear every one of the best Lawyer's cases and what he said and what he did to convince the jury, you too can learn how to be a lawyer by just watching a lawyer do his thing.

In Film, we have every single one of the best director's and filmmaker's works on DVD that we can study and see how they did it.

That's all I did. I studied the best sound designers in the business and was lucky enough to meet/work under them and voila.

Film school is a waste of 100+K you can spend on equipment, if you ask me.

Your trailer and film is a testament to that, too.

That's very nice of you to say, thank you! It was certainly (always) a struggle, but I think everyone will be very entertained with the movie, which is what this is all about... entertaining people!

Great trailer, looks really fun. I'd watch it.

Oh, and you just started out doing vfx? And you made that alien? I don't believe it. You are being modest.

Great trailer, looks really fun. I'd watch it.

Oh, and you just started out doing vfx? And you made that alien? I don't believe it. You are being modest.

I've done some 3D before, but not the visual effects side of things...compositing, masking, tracking...or even using After Effects at all for that matter.

Ha, I come here to the site by chance and stumble upon your new trailer — it looks great, Chris! It's amazing how much you pulled off with $0, absolutely amazing, although I guess the trade-off would be how long it took you to make.

Wells, here's to you and I, hoping our silly fast-paced epic adventures in cinema are able to hold their own against those slow-moving uninteresting artsy pieces on the festival circuit!

Back