Canon 514 XL

Hello! I have an 8mm Canon 514XL. Its optics and such work, but it does not turn on. When I got it, it had old batteries in it. Could this have killed it? And if it did, is it fixable?
Also, Will it turn on without film in it?

Also, Will it turn on without film in it?

The camera's motor should be able to run without any film inserted. That's assuming all the right switches are turned on. ;)

Really can't answer the other q's, as I'm not much of a mechanic.

If you use forum search to look up member Dr Blackstock, you'll find some PDF instructions on how to diassemble & inspect a 514. (Pretty sure it was a 514, anyway).

The camera's motor should be able to run without any film inserted. That's assuming all the right switches are turned on. ;)

Really can't answer the other q's, as I'm not much of a mechanic.

If you use forum search to look up member Dr Blackstock, you'll find some PDF instructions on how to diassemble & inspect a 514. (Pretty sure it was a 514, anyway).

Did you clean the corrosion up with some vinegar and a cotton swab?

I don't know the 514 that well, and can't remember on my 310 xl, but does the 514 accept one of the batteries into the housing? (Like it slides inside then the second battery is visible?)

If so, do you think it's possible there is some corrosion on the unseen terminal that is preventing it from making contact? (Or some paper towel down in there?)

-Thanks-

Last edited:
Thanks everyone, It works now!

Rock on!
smiley_five.gif

....soooo... how'd you fix it? Gotta share the details. :)

Back