Ideas To Pull Off The Following Effects . . .

I want to do something grand for the entrance of Artemis.

In the tradition of Xanadu, where Kera entered when a billboard came to life with lights and flares and The Wraith where the wraith appeared out of a cluster of lights that fell from the sky, In I, Creator 2, I want a strange day on the alien world where the moon can be seen with the sun and a great light flares from the moon as the moon becomes invisible and the ball of light descends upon the land and transforms into traditional Artemis. Once she sees Amazon soldiers as the captives of the aliens, she will walk around a tree. And, as she reappears, she will be in the uniform of an army medic for one of the countries of Delta Four where the Amazons were kidnapped from to infultrate, posing as a captive Amazon.

Which shots should I greenscreen, cgi, and so on?

In I, Creator 2: Goddess Of The Hunt,

I want a strange day on the alien world where, in the sky, the moon can be seen with the sun and a great ball of light flares from the moon. As the light flies into the foreground, the moon becomes invisible in the background.

The ball of light descends upon the land and transforms into traditional Artemis wearing the traditional costume as the goddess of the hunt. She looks all around as she is searching for something.

Once she sees what she is looking for, Amazon soldiers as the captives of predator aliens, she will walk around a tree. And, as she reappears from around the tree, we see she is now wearing the uniform of an army medic for one of the countries of Delta Four where the Amazons were kidnapped from.

She approaches the predators who are moving the Amazons to position them to start the hunting and killing game.

She allows herself to be captured to infiltrate the killer hunters and spy on her Amazons, posing as a captive Amazon.

Is this clearer now?

Which shots should I greenscreen, cgi, and so on?

Adobe After Effects would be your best bet. And some videocopilot keyed effects. Just my guess. I did not really read everything just skimmed. I am no expert but that is my gut guess. Learning how to do green sceen would probably help you too.

Last edited:
fun stuff..

Im a bit confused on the flow of some of this.. though im getting good "feel"

particularly,
"As the light flies into the foreground, the moon becomes invisible in the background"

Do you mean, the moon is "transformed" into the "light that flies into the foreground?" I can see that..
Code:
           The moon high and cold blue in the stary sky.
            the moon brightens in intensity blinding and washing out all detail...
            as the vision clears we see the gracefull form of Artemis
            bright, lit as if from within
            her cloak flutters  around her shrouding her in an orb of light.  

we follow her decent and she lightly lands on earth.. as the angelic light fades,
            she is revealed in her earthly goddess of the hunt garb.. .

Can you find any images or clips online for us to examine? Xanadu would have been all old school optical printing tricks and manual matting (drawing and cutting by hand).

The rest can probably just be accomplished by filming the first part, keeping the camera absolutely locked in place, then filming the second part, do a wipe reveal from one to the other with an animated garbage matte and some glow/blur effects animated with it to move from the first shot to the other.

fun stuff..

Im a bit confused on the flow of some of this.. though im getting good "feel"

particularly,
"As the light flies into the foreground, the moon becomes invisible in the background"

Do you mean, the moon is "transformed" into the "light that flies into the foreground?" I can see that..
Code:
           The moon high and cold blue in the stary sky.
            the moon brightens in intensity blinding and washing out all detail...
            as the vision clears we see the gracefull form of Artemis
            bright, lit as if from within
            her cloak flutters  around her shrouding her in an orb of light.  

we follow her decent and she lightly lands on earth.. as the angelic light fades,
            she is revealed in her earthly goddess of the hunt garb.. .

That'll work.

Can you find any images or clips online for us to examine? Xanadu would have been all old school optical printing tricks and manual matting (drawing and cutting by hand).

The rest can probably just be accomplished by filming the first part, keeping the camera absolutely locked in place, then filming the second part, do a wipe reveal from one to the other with an animated garbage matte and some glow/blur effects animated with it to move from the first shot to the other.

That sounds like a good idea. Maybe use a lens flare effect in post?

Here's another way from THE WRAITH 1984

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMaLQ3h1TIw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMaLQ3h1TIw

Last edited by a moderator:
oh, the light casting ball thing.. here is my first after effects special effect. (following one of videcopilot tuts..). sd video..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DZYBoIc4U4

check the LIGHT CASTING tutorial on videocopiolt.net for how to do it..

http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials/3d_light_casting/

I was picturing a more "ethereal" slow decent in grace and power.. not a frenetic buzzing ball..

There's nothing wrong with that as a variation to THE WRAITH. Just remember Artemis was god to hunters and the Amazons. There are stories where she guided the great hunter Orion in the woods as he hunted and the Amazons in battle. The nympths that were her servants are actually the elements of nature and she is also known as Mother Nature in other cultures.

hey, its your film Artemis is what you want her to be... iyour not going to covert me to an ancient Greek polytheistic religion anytime soon..lo

Example above was to show you where to look for casting light in post production... I like my OTHER idea better.. a majestically descending light orb thingy.. and the way to pull that off... is a fun thought experiment.. you would use the light casting technique to bring the elements together.. ...

this is all post to me.. or mostly.. you will need to create some assets..

this is just to get you started.. YMMV

first get some fast frame rate greenscreen footage of actress "A" .. floating.. do this in two parts.. shot one.. she waves here arms around in a beautiful graceful way.. get some fans blowing her hair.. (no cloak yet though)

Same camera shot but have her hanging from a rafter or something by her hands.. and have her again gracefully wiggle her legs.. (they are off the floor because shes hanging by her hands..)

comp the two together to be a single person floating.. (make sense?)

Now you have your girl floating asset..

You might do this twice.. with actress A wearing the two different costumes.. that way you can morph between the two..

for the cloak just find some silk or what not and blow it around in a cool way.. again fast frame rate filming..

comp the cloak asset BEHIND the girl.. maybe add some smoke elements or what ever floating around too.. dust particles or what ever you can pull off..

Now you need your background shots.. film like shes REALLY there floating in the sky and it will work.

Back