Audio issues, need help!

That is what someone said the issue was when I heard that sound coming from some external speakers hooked up to a computer once. (I wasn't sure if that was really true or not). I get that sound from time to time while filming but this night it was happening like crazy. Of course I didn't notice until I captured it on my computer. I suppose I could hear it real-time if I put my headphones on while filming? That won't stop it of course, but at least I could re-shoot the more important scenes.

Thanks for the fast response!

Yeah. I would just make it a rule that no-one on set is allowed to carry cell phones that are active...

Then you will never have that problem.

I would always have someone monitoring the sound while you're filming. There is nothing worse than getting home and loading it in and realizing what you just realized...

Yup, it's a data phone polling for email or receiving email. We call it martian fax machines. I've experienced it doing location sound, as well as doing FOH engineering in musical theatre. All phones must be either turned OFF (airline mode), or left in craft services.

And even though we announce it at the beginning of the shoot, and again after changing set-ups (since everyone will want to turn their phones back on) there is usually ONE who thinks it doesn't apply to them.

Ah - when cell phones are near my U87 they buzz like a bug out of hell.

Cell phones are not even allowed in the studio proper, only the control room. Fortunately my area has very poor cell reception, and the studio is in my basement which makes it even worse. They just give up after a while.

Nice!

Yeah. Sometimes it's hard to ask certain actors that - but some of them know about it and hand me their phones.

Sometimes certain actors have up to 3 phones on them at once.

Somebody mentioned, but this is also why you have an audio guy (as in trained ears) listening to the audio at all times so he he can scream (at the end of the take), "Turn of your goddamned cell phone before I shove it up your ass! That audio track is trashed!"

Back