Lights...Where Do I Start?

Hey guys! I've realised just how important good lighting can be during my past few productions and was wondering if you could suggest some good websites for purchasing lights or renting within the UK. I've been reading a lot of horror stories (mostly on this board) about bad internet lights, so any good suggestions would be great. Thanks!

I've used videogear.co.uk and been very happy with their service. From my experience I'd say don't start out with RedHeads - if you're doing interior shoots in small locations you won't be able to use a typical set of three 500w effectively. In retrospect, for my first shoot we should have got a kit like this.

The 625w + 2 x 300w give you bit more flexibility - of course, your needs will vary depending on what kind of look you're going for. Oh, and don't forget filters and blackout foil - that stuff's nearly as useful as duct tape :D

Go to your local hardware store. pick up a couple of worklights for cheap. I found these on amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Designers-Edge-L-14SLED-Two-Light-1000-Watt/dp/B0002YW2C8/ref=dp_cp_ob_hi_image_2 They may noy be the best but im sure there is someone on this forum that can agree that these light will suffice when on a tight budget. Plus im almost positive that you could wire a standard dimmer switch to this light but beware that could be vary dangerous if you don't know much about electricity.

Back