Too Pretentious To Direct

I know this is a crappy thing to say about oneself, but I'm saying it because i'm trying to improve.

I feel i would be too pretentious as a director. I don't know if everyone can tell, but the director being pretentious OR earnest can be felt when watching a film, and it's hard to totally let go when watching a film where i can feel the pretention (Tarantino. Seriously. You know it.)

I keep feeling that if i direct I would keep getting in the way of the film. I want to tell the film but not be obviously intrusive, im not talking about the technique of being subtle, i don't know exactly what i mean. I hope someone can help... I hope you understand. Thx.

Good editor will solve a lot of that for you. He's the representative of the audience who can say "dude, this long scene of him riding on the train looking out the window with no dialogue goes on WAY too long..." or "You know, I don't think the weird angle really makes sense here, it will just confuse the audience".

Yeah i see what you mean about the editor. But its not really about that. Its more about the whole feel of the scene (and i know that can be changed by the editor, but he can only do so much), im just wondering about how to shoot during production, not about how i can bend it in post. I guess i'll have to use my instincts...

Hmmmm... maybe make a pact with yourself to not watch any european films or any "arty farty" films for a while, and instead only watch Roger Corman and Herschell Gordon Lewis movies. Maybe it will rub off on your sensibilities.

Seriously though. Expand you film watching horizons. Watch a lot of classic stuff, where they use very classic technique (but well done), like John Ford, Frank Capra, etc... watch some trash movies. The biggest help though is going to be a producer, an AD, a DP, somebody you respect on set that can pull you back when you start to drift too far afield.

I keep feeling that if i direct I would keep getting in the way of the film. I want to tell the film but not be obviously intrusive, im not talking about the technique of being subtle, i don't know exactly what i mean. I hope someone can help... I hope you understand. Thx.
Direct ten short films in the next 12 months.

The best way to learn is to do it. You can talk about
for ten years and never know for sure. Change your
method each time you work - try something a little
different. If, after one year and 10 short films, you
still feel you get in the way of the film (and you don't
like the end result) then you stop directing.

On the other hand if you do improve and change then
you know for sure. Or if you end up liking the end result
(Tarantino does) then you have also learned.

Directorik has some very good advice, and making short films is something i've been doing over the past year. It's a good way to consider what needs to be in a film and what doesn't, and, especially if you plan it properly, will help you effectively produce a concise film in a short time.
I too have a penchant for unnecessary shots, but it's been helped with the production of my recent films. I try to never repeat the same thing twice, while making it clear to the audience of what is happening. Avoiding dialogue and using purely visuals and audio design has helped me, as i've had no script to fall back on.

It could help you too, just plan a story and how to tell it in the simplest, and most effective manner possible. Additional crew, like the editor, or an assistant director can be very useful in maintaining the creative flow if you happen to go a bit crazy - it definitely helps.

Ok

Let me help.

Think of filming a movie doing it the way you would want to and get it done with quality and so it's just to your liking, think James Cameron.

Then think of filming a movie while being timid and scared of enforcing anything and letting people do what they think is "best".

Tell me what you would be more satisfied with.

pre·ten·tious/priˈtenCHəs/
Adjective: Attempting to impress by affecting greater importance, talent, culture, etc., than is actually possessed

One might think you are saying you're not talented...... If you know what you want, and how to achieve it, you are not being pretentious by demanding it. Set a goal and follow through. If you're the director, they are working for you not vice versa. I'm not condoning rudeness either. Be direct, no equivocation.

Good editor will solve a lot of that for you. He's the representative of the audience who can say "dude, this long scene of him riding on the train looking out the window with no dialogue goes on WAY too long..." or "You know, I don't think the weird angle really makes sense here, it will just confuse the audience".

I agree, and if you can trust your editor and develop a good give-and-take relationship with him (while finding that difficult mix of knowing when to trust them and knowing when to trust your own vision) then you should be able to overcome a lot of that. Obviously that trust thing starts with you though.

I also like IndieTalk's advice.

Back