Question about the new Nikon D3100

Hey everyone,
I've been filming in HD using a simple HD Flip and found that the results for me at that time were great. I've been getting into filming short web series lately and have been meaning to upgrade all my equipment. I understand that shooting on DSLRs are the new craze it seems due to the interchangable lenses which for me, would be a huge bonus. I've read the forums and everyone seems to be shooting on the Canon 5D Mark 2, 7D and T2i. I've looked at all those cameras and the only thing holding me back from buying one is the fact that all the lenses I have access to are all Nikon. So my question to you guys is this. Outside of the fact that i'm going to have to record audio separately with this camera since it has no external mic import, will the overall image quality of the videos be in the same league as the Canons mentioned above? And are any of you guys planning on using the D3100 for any of your shoots?

I haven't done a "test drive" of the Nikon. However, I
will make an educated guess that there is no overall
difference in the picture quality between the Canon
DSLR's and the new Nikon. The more money you spend
the more features you get so there will be slight differences
in the camera itself. But the tech spec's are very, very
similar.

I suspect that with the simple point and shoot (which
is what most people seem to want) side by side, using
the same quality lens, the difference won't be noticeable
to most people.

Looks like I'm going to have to take these cameras out
for a test.

x2. It shouldn't be appreciably different from whatever Canon camera is at the same price point. Similar specs, same compression format, etc.

No experience with this camera, but if you have the Nikon glass already I would go for it.

If your not interested in the photo portion of the camera a D3100 is as good (if not better as it has 1080p) than the D90. The D300s and D3s have a few more features but your shelling out big bucks for the photo side that your not going to use.

That said there should be some Nikon Announcements mid-spetember 2010 which should bring in the replacement of the D90, if you can I'd wait the few weeks to see what it is as it may have more video features than the D3100.

Last edited:
Back