• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Roll Dogs 48 Hour Film Project San Diego 2010 Winner/Best Use of Character.

Hey Forum friends!

Over the weekend of July 16-18 2010, fifty two local film making teams competed in The 48 Hour Film Project San Diego. My brother and I took Winner for best use of character. I'm finally an award winning film maker!

Check out the Directors Cut of my brother and I's award winning film "Roll Dogs"

Team name: Sofa King Awesome

Genre: Road Movie

Elements: Character -Rick/Rita Hernandez(Doctor) Line of dialogue "I'm trying my best" Prop -Chair

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0157ji_BN4

I think the banter between the two were great at times, and some of the humor was awesome (like, 'Oh gross....I can't believe you drink this piss', and he was talking about the beer not the toe nail cleaning).

It's really tough to speed through shots, but you have to make sure that it's in focus. Obviously there are many shots that are way soft in this. You really have to get a solid focus before you shoot.

Which brings me to point two, which will help out your focus issue: lighting. You were way too dark. Not only were your shots too dark, but they were also flat. You could have used a few work lights from home depot or something to pop the actors and the background...you want to separate the two planes. And once your actors were well lit, you would have seen that you were out of focus.

Anyhow. Congrats on best use of character. Cheers.

Thanks M1chae1

Thanks for the congrats. This is my first award for film making, so it's kind of a big deal to me :D

as for the picture issues, My brother and I weren't originally planning on starring in the movie. But when film day was upon us and our actors hadn't shown up, we quickly changed from Directors/camera-men to Directors/actors and our picture quality paid for it. By the time our crew did show up, we were already deep into the filming. Not only that, but our crew were just interested friends that had zero experience in film making or camera operation. So we just made good with what we had. That's the 48 Hour Film Project for ya though ;)

Well congrats. That's awesome for you guys.

Ya, definitely when planning on entering in the 48, you need a super solid cast and crew in place. No 'maybes', especially for the important roles like, say, lead actor or DP. ;)

There is far too much work involved to just let the production suffer from bad planning or casting--especially when your spending money on submission fees and other things. Not to mention the huge time commitment that weekend.

Respect for making something good out of a bad situation... It can suck to have no shows but I'm sure it was a great learning experience... Those guys didn't show up- now you and your brother know you can do it in front of the camera too...

Learning Experience

Yeah, it sure was a learning experience.

I'm kind of a lone guerrilla filmmaker anyway. I only know a couple of dedicated people, but they live pretty far from me. Pretty much everyone I use in my projects are inexperienced people who I beg to work with me.
Despite the picture woes, I still really love the piece. And we had so much fun on the set. In fact when I look back on it now, I wouldn't have had it any other way. :D

But, getting back to what M1chae1 said....It definitely would be nice to work with experienced and dedicated people some day. Until then I just gotta git-r-done! :yes:

David, firstly the dialogue was brilliant at times. I loved the discussion between you and your brother, it never once bored me. It had a kind of charm whereby it was superfluous and irrelevant yet your performances and reactions made it pretty much always entertaining. Nice job there, and congrats on nailing the award!

Now knowing you had crew production issues, I can understand the framing and focus issues I noticed several times. Some of the shots are very good and adventurous, but they're hamstrung by some pixellated cropped shots (I think) and ones which were slightly out of focus. With a tighter crew you could have really put this together all-around as a brilliant short. I also thought the lighting suffered from far too much contrast at times, switching from saturated daylight to the dim insides of the car for example, but with the budget and time constraints you had that's totally forgiveable.

The sound design was mostly pretty good, nothing that really popped out at you but i'm sure that you never intended it to given the regular, everyday tone of the narrative. Most of it was well recorded and synced and if you got someone to compose the music used, major props to you on that one, it worked well.

I think you worked very well with what you had here David, that's a very nice script you've got there. Loved the Ted DiBiase reference. Shame his son is nowhere near a doctor XD.
Congrats man, good job!

Thanks!

Hey, Thanks RicGray for checking out Roll Dogs!! :)

I'm getting some pretty good reactions from this short, both on and off the Net. I've gotten a couple of bad responses too, but that comes with the territory...there's always gonna be those who don't like what you do :(

On the night of the premiere the audience was roaring!! and that was :D AMAZING :D for my brother, myself, and our crew. It was the first time I'd ever entered any sort of competition, so I was very happy to have won something :cool:

as far as the music goes, I had a friend come out and she quickly made the music for the end credits. I made the music for the opening.

Thanks again for taking the time to watch "Roll Dogs"

Back