99 Cent TV?

(Any Mods who feel this should go elsewhere, let me know or move it please :))

Okay, this isn't movies, this is TV, but I know the idea has been bounced around about Itunes type movie rentals for cheap on these forums(I know you can rent movies for 4 or 5 bucks on Itunes)

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2010/08...-99-cents-or-nothing/?source=cnn_bin&hpt=Sbin

If studios start trying to make profit through route-what does it mean for the future of film making? Or, because of the "movie experience", it's a different ball of wax?

Is it though? From a pure movie watching standpoint, where I live I can buy a 40 inch (1080) flatscreen and a decent surround system under 8-900 dollars, which I can then hook up to my puter and watch content from the net. Still sounds like a lot-but if it gets to the point years down the road where I can, either through VOD or rentals, pay less (significantly) than my satellite or cable company for films and television, and still have the "movie" experience, is it that different?

The flip side of course is 3D now, and every movie coming out is 3D, and you're at looking at 4 grand for a 3D tv, so that admittedly can't be replicated. Also one could argue the "night out" aspect of movies still has a fair bit of sway. But what does this say for those of us filmmakers who can't afford to make 300 million dollar 3D blockbusters? Perhaps this '99 cent" route could be an alternative?

To me nothing is the same as being surrounded with a bunch of my peers sitting in a sold out theater waiting for a movie to come out that I have been looking forward to for months. Love it when the crowd gets involved and there is a great vibe in the theater. Anyone else?

Back