DCR-DVD91E CCD Sensor Problem

After some basic googling, I came to find out that the problem with my camcorder is with the CCD Sensor. Last year when on holiday I took out the camera, and upon trying to start it up, noticed that the LCD was working, but nothing was showing. (blank screen) I thought "crap, it's broken" and packed it away. I took it out days after to take a closer look at it, and what do you know? The problem had gone away.

Well, just recently, the same problem has randomly come around. The LCD and Viewfinder shows no pictures, and google tells me its the CCD sensor. If this is the case, is this possible to be replaced in a DIY fashion, or does this mean I'm just doomed?

Thanks.

Do you honestly expect to be able to find parts for a six year old consumer camera? Even if you did manage to find the part, and somehow managed to replace it yourself, that would still cost you more than just buying a used camera of comparable quality from eBay.

Last edited:
Do you honestly expect to be able to find parts for a six year old consumer camera? Even if you did manage to find the part, and somehow managed to replace it yourself, that would still cost you more than just buying a used camera of comparable quality from eBay.

This. With a camera that old and at that price point upgrading to a newer model would probably be a better investment.

This. With a camera that old and at that price point upgrading to a newer model would probably be a better investment.

Yeah, I was just hoping maybe it could be an easy fix since it fixed itself randomly once before. What do you think I should buy in its place? Some say to stay away from HDD cameras because the quality is no good when you put it up against a DV camera. Is there any truth to this? (something about the way HDD compresses the video files...)

Yeah, I was just hoping maybe it could be an easy fix since it fixed itself randomly once before. What do you think I should buy in its place? Some say to stay away from HDD cameras because the quality is no good when you put it up against a DV camera. Is there any truth to this? (something about the way HDD compresses the video files...)

I guess there's no harm in opening it up if it's completely bricked anyway, but even if you know what you're doing the parts for it probably won't exist anymore anyway.

The medium the camera records to is not inherently linked to quality - there are many professional cameras that record on tape that are far better than consumer HDD cameras, and cameras that can record to a HDD (such as the RED One) can be much higher quality than MiniDV (tape) cameras. The sensor, lens and compression used in a camera are more important considerations.

If you have a budget and know what you're going to use it for or what features you need I'm sure a few members will have some suggestions :)

Back