Choosing the right camera

Hello,
you are probably facepalming, because you see this kind of threads pop up every day. I have done quite a lot of research on these forums, but in the end, it didn't make me any less torn between what (type) of camera to buy.

What I want to shoot:
I'm a teen and I'm not a professional (as much as I try to be). I have captured short films before on two different school cameras (but wasn't really allowed to play more with their settings, so never experienced HD etc. fully). I direct narrative short films, but I am occasionally also interested in shooting documentaries.

That said: I have a pretty low budget. I am not ready to pay more than 1000€ for a digital camera, and I can't buy expensive lenses and lots of external recording devices. Rigs and tripods I can probably afford.

What I am looking for is an usable camera, that can produce quality HD image, can record decent audio, has manual focus, exposure and doesn't require billions worth additional props to make it usable. So far, I was looking a lot at the 550D/Rebel T2i camera, but I'm worried about the criticised sound quality it produces by default. I'm not sure if I've really got the money to go all the way to sound syncing and what not. Most people also seem to have used different lenses for their camera and I'm wondering if the default aren't very good because of that?

I don't have particular experience with either HDV or DSLR cameras, but I'm open to any suggestions as long as it doesn't get too expensive (~1000€).

Thanks in advance.

The sound quality is a non-issue you will need a sound recorder and mic even if you got a $3-5k pro-sumer camera. Zoom H4n, and be done with it go for a rode NTG2. The camera's audio is completely useless other than to provide a sync track for Plural Eyes.

If you don't own the T2i already you may consider waiting for the 60D which will have a pop-out swivel screen, movie mode auto-focus, and adjustable auto levels (like the 5D Mark II). It's going to be $1.1k new, but honestly I'd pay the difference just for the swivel-tilt screen. This cam won't need an outboard LCD and with something like a Loop or Z-Finder (when they make a bracket for it) will be in ideal position for use. and nearly fully rotatable for use at any angle.

Heya, I didn't want to make a new "Help me choose a camera!" post since I'm sure you get a bunch of those, so I chose to kind of piggyback on this one. I've seen you recommend the Canon cameras over any kind of camcorder for entry level stuff ~1k, Mindmaster. My question is: Will these cameras (T2i, 60D, etc) be good for shooting a sitcom type setup?

I'm planning on doing a series and putting it on the web to begin with, so I'm guessing the same rules apply, like getting the sound recording, some lights / stands, mic, etc along with the camera, but I'm torn on what camera to actually use. I'm not quite up to par on the info as far as DSLRs actually shooting movies.

Wiqd

Heya, I didn't want to make a new "Help me choose a camera!" post since I'm sure you get a bunch of those, so I chose to kind of piggyback on this one. I've seen you recommend the Canon cameras over any kind of camcorder for entry level stuff ~1k, Mindmaster. My question is: Will these cameras (T2i, 60D, etc) be good for shooting a sitcom type setup?

I'm planning on doing a series and putting it on the web to begin with, so I'm guessing the same rules apply, like getting the sound recording, some lights / stands, mic, etc along with the camera, but I'm torn on what camera to actually use. I'm not quite up to par on the info as far as DSLRs actually shooting movies.

Wiqd

Well, sitcoms are usually (if I may make a wide generalisation) shot with multiple cameras, so the relatively low price of the Canon DSLRs is perhaps a positive in this respect. However, does the image the camera produces give you the look you want? It's very cinematic looking - something not usually associated with sitcoms - and the very shallow depth of field it creates may hinder rather than help you when working on a fast-paced production (compared to a feature film). Maybe if you know how you want the show to look I'll happily recommend a 550D - it's a great camera, but that doesn't necessarily make it the best choice for you.

i've been researching around this site and all around the internet for the past 3 weeks on this same topic. a couple days ago i decided to pull the trigger. ill just convert everything to euro , but all in all it was around 2100$ for me (1645€). It might help.

1- Canon t2i w/ 18-55mm lens: Not the most popular lens but its steady and you can use it to practice, and even get good shoots w/ it. You can get the Canon Kiss X4 , its the same model as the t2i just the one released in japan , and they usually go for cheaper. Menus can be set to english easily, and you can download the english pdf manual online --- 627€

2- Canon 50mm 1.8 lens - great prime/wide aperture lens for video + cheap. 82€

3- D l Gears : since this lens is kind of small this widens the diameter of the focus ring + better grip. plus its the first step to a follow focus if i every decide to get one. 27€
A lens hood + ND and other filters for outdoor shooting 27€

4- Two Trancend 16gb class 6 memory cards - 62€ (maybe you can find cheaper ones)

5- Tripod: I was between the entry level Manfrotto 701hdv fluid head and an FM18 fluid head, but a buddy of mine recommended i try this company called Weifeng. So for 117€ i got a weifeng 717ah head + some seemly sturdy legs, i guess ill see when it gets here.

6- Battery grip + extra batteries: I went the cheap way out with this one. Amazon knock-off batteries (2) and battery grip combo - 47€

Now, the audio is pretty standard, a lot of people are using this shooting with dslr. Its not running through the camera at all.

7- H4n digital recorder: I got the package from BH that brings the shoe adapter to mount it to your camera, a Mini Windjammer, CH700 Studio Headphones ( standard/good quality, not the greatest but very comfortable), and a 4gb SD card. If you already have headphones and an sd card, you might be better off buying just the h4n and the shoe adapter separately (cheaper this way) and not the package deal, since the h4n brings a windjammer in the box, its just not as good as the one in the package. For me it was 290€

8- Audio Technica AT897 shotgun mic w/shockmount + windscreen. Again from BH. Prob the best sub 300 dollar shotgun mic in the market. 205€

9- A boompole: you can prob do without buying one (DIY) for a while, and thinking back maybe i shouldve spent this money on a condenser mic for indoor (like the Oktava MC012). but anyway i got a K-Tek KE-89CC 7' internally coiled boompole. 134€

10- Xlr cable: to connect the shotgun to the h4n - 16€

So thats my set up. for about 30€ or less you can find materials for a DIY shoulder mount if you need to go handheld which is what im planning to do.

Last edited:
Well I spoke to my uncle who works as a cinematographer and he recommended something along the lines of the Canon HF S20 to do sitcom work. Runs about the same as a T2i or 60D, but is obviously a camcorder instead of the DSLR. Seems like everyone is doing combo packs on Amazon with the HF S20, so for ~1k I can get the camera, 3 piece filter set, wide angle lens, telephoto lens, tripod, etc. Then the AT897 shotgun condenser was about 235, H4N was 300, cables were standard so yea ... ~1.5-2.0k seems about right either way I go I suppose.

Back