Volunteering

So recently I've been looking for any indie features/shorts even documentaries that I could volunteer for behind the scenes, helping out in production, mainly for the experience. However I cant seem to find any here in Miami, does anyone now of any websites where there might be listings for this type of stuff?

Also, would anyone really be interested in a person like myself around with not much technical knowledge, but that is willing to.. lets say hold a boom pole the way he is told, or carry something from point A to point B and such.

PS. dont know if this topic belongs here so move if needed.

Last edited:
Your local Craigslist, for starters.

http://miami.craigslist.org/cwg/

"Production Assistant" is the term to look for. (PA for short)

Not a great way to make money, but you'll get on a set or project easily enough. That's where you can start to meet people and make connections. Bottom of the ladder, but ya gotta start somewhere.

Good luck. :)

Also, would anyone really be interested in a person like myself around with not much technical knowledge, but that is willing to.. lets say hold a boom pole the way he is told...

It's a common misconception that all you do is hold a mic on the end of a long stick somewhere near the talent. Wrong! It requires a great deal of endurance/strength to hold a 16' pole over your head for hours at a time. You have to know exactly where to point the mic for optimum voice pick-up (without being able to "site" it), make very subtle adjustments or radical movements - often in the same shot - and you have to do it all noiselessly. On top of that you have to pick the proper mic for each situation (with the approval of the production sound mixer), wire up talent with lavs/wireless and assist with the com system.

Not to discourage you from wanting to be a boom-op, just to make you aware that it is a more difficult job than most would ever expect - including many indie directors.

What are your other interests or skills? As an example, a friend of a buddy of mine who worked for a contractor now does construction work on film sets. And on a shoot where I was PSM the hair/make-up artist started in a salon, did a few shoots just for fun, and that's now all she does.

The entertainment industry calls many and rewards few. The thing that most people recognize is punctuality, hard work and a willingness to learn. If you have all of that and some talent you will at least have a chance.

So recently I've been looking for any indie features/shorts even documentaries that I could volunteer for behind the scenes, helping out in production, mainly for the experience. However I cant seem to find any here in Miami, does anyone now of any websites where there might be listings for this type of stuff?

Also, would anyone really be interested in a person like myself around with not much technical knowledge, but that is willing to.. lets say hold a boom pole the way he is told, or carry something from point A to point B and such.

PS. dont know if this topic belongs here so move if needed.

Mandy.com have such classifies,but I don know it extends to Miami
padma

Back