Getting Ready for Some Adventure Filmmaking

Hey guys,

I have been living in Kenya and Sudan the last couple months as a missionary, and in December I will have the opportunity to do something really unique. I will be shooting a drama/musical in a village in Southern Sudan (completely undeveloped, inaccessible area), editing it there on the spot, and then promptly converting it to DVD format and driving from village to village with a team, showing the film in public locations. This will be the FIRST EVER FILM created in their language (which isn't even a written language yet, purely aural), and the first ever drama created and filmed in this part of Sudan.

That being said, I have an extremely limited amount of space, as I will be either flying or driving into the country. The gear that I have already secured for myself includes:

-Sony CX-100 Handycam (my own) :/
-Macbook and Final Cut Suite, Hard Drives, monitors, etc.
-Generator Power, solar units, and necessary power for lighting/sound

I have a tentative budget of between $300-500 to buy extra equipment I will need. I'm looking at getting:

-A PELICAN case (or cases) to protect all my gear, cords, laptop, hard drives, etc.
-2 or 3 microphones and necessary cables... I'll improvise booms out of pvc or wood.
-A DOF Adapter that's compact enough to pack/unpack and lug up and down mountains every 15 mins

In terms of sound, I'm hoping to have one mic on a boom - and since I'll have two crew members specifically devoted to helping with my technical needs, one of them can be my grip when the other is working a dolly or holding a reflector - and the other mic remaining static, as close to the action as possible. Since there will probably be a couple tribal dance setpieces where a wide angle is the best/only way to capture the shot in 1-2 takes, a boom or even shotgun won't always be possible.

I know the IndieTalk forum-goers are a smart bunch (and occasionally ultra-experienced), so since I only have a couple weeks to complete my shopping list before returning to East Africa, I thought I'd post my gameplan and see if you guys have product recommendations, production/editing/screening tips, or any other comments/critiques!

I'm specifically shopping around for the right MICROPHONE and DOF ADAPTER setups for shooting in a more touch-and-go, cramped set than usual. Any recommendations?

what type of generators and power sourcing will you be using, i am really interested in that since Im going to be making a movie in Haiti without available power

Since I have limited space, I won't be able to take any serious lighting equipment besides some reflectors and gels, so most of the lighting will involve getting creative with Shop Lights at or above 500 Watts.
However, lighting is not as terrible an issue in Kenya/Sudan. Since we're right on the equator and at a fairly high altitude, most natural light tends to distribute itself pretty evenly. What I'll probably be doing is bumping my camera's exposure down a bit, and then using warm gels (or just warm bulbs) to bring out skin tones.
For jungle scenes involving lots of vines, trees, and underbrush, I'll probably spritz all the vegetation with water to get a nice sheen, and then cast a couple lights across those backgrounds to get nice little flickers and reflections off the jungle. I'll try to avoid shooting at night, because I don't have the manpower OR necessary wattage to sufficiently backlight an entire set with nice, white "moonlight" from a high enough angle. :/

Back