Budgeting for Mic on T2i

Ok, well i haven't seen a thread that really addresses my concern, so here goes.

I want to get a shotgun mic for my Canon T2i. I don't have a boom, so if you are recommending a mic that requires one that would have to be factored in.

I don't really want to spend more than 150 UK pounds.

Also i'm shooting a documentary so whilst the sound quality is important, i can get away with it sounding 'real' and full of 'office noises'...etc.

Help me out! What should i go for?

Much obliged,
Nick

P.S. Bare in mind i'm an Englishman.

I'm no expert, but this has been hashed out quite a bit on here and the consensus seems to be that you will need an external audio recorder because the t2i's automatic gain control will screw up and compress any audio that it records. A.k.a. unusable.

The popular (and most affordable) recording device is the Zoom H4n. Which if you get lucky on eBay will still eat up 2/3 of your budget. The best/popular 'inexpensive' shotgun mic seems to be the Rode NG-2. It's recommended that you also get a cardioid condenser mic for shooting indoors.

And you will always need some sort of boom pole or stand with a shock mount.

I know it doesn't fit your budget, but that seems like the minimum of what you stated that you needed.

Time to rob a bank? :P

Rode generally makes very nice gear at a budget price - the NTG-3 is rapidly finding its way into many pro kits - but the Rode VideoMic is aimed at the consumer market and has several serious drawbacks for anyone wanting to create a professional product.

Back