An all-purpose mic?

Hi, all. First post. :)

Does anyone know of a good mic (preferably no more than $200) that can be used on your computer, for voice-over work, AND hooked to a boom pole or camera, for use in the field? It would be nice if there was such a thing that could go into some kind of mic stand (like this below), as opposed to a clunky shotgun mic. ...although I WOULD prefer something good for voice, if possible - not unlike a shotgun mic, when it comes to field recording - as opposed to something that would rather pick up everything.

Btw, both my computer and camera take these standard jacks. Does that change things?

Thanks!

CO1U_Package_Img-web.jpg

Last edited:
No such beast. Specific mics for specific jobs; you don't use a wrench as a hammer. Well, you could, but it won't do a very good job.

And "good" is relative; I have about $4k worth of mics - large diaphragm, small diaphragm and dynamics - and still need to expand my mic closet. I love my Shure SM-57, but would never consider using it on the set or for VO. Love my Neumann TLM 103 for VO, but would be a really poor choice on the set or in high SPL situations. On the set a shotgun sounds great outdoors, crappy indoors; a cardioid condenser won't cut it outdoors, but does a nice job indoors.

You get the idea...

Though its not QUITE one mic for all jobs.. its close..

In my last shoot we used a capsule based system.. Same base\electronics with interchangeable heads.

AKG 480b condensor, with CK 63 Hyper Cardiod Capsule (interior shots), and a CK 69 Shotgun capsule for the exterior shots.

About a $1000 or more.

Worked freaking amazingly, Ill never doubt how much easier a great mic makes getting field audio. In the hands of boom op that knew what to do, we submitted our 48 without any tweaking. (not that we shouldn't have, but we ran out of time, and the sound STILL rocks, in most spots)

Back