Submission query (do's and don'ts)

I'm about to submit "Face Value" to some festivals. I guess I'm wondering about do's and don't from those who have done it (IE Is it permissable to enter more than one Festival at a time? I know with writing short stories, it's not a good idea to submit the same story to more than one publisher at a time-considered bad form)

Just any absolute dos or don't to maximize chances of acceptance would be appreciated :)

It's encouraged to submit to numerous Film Festivals, it's a magnificent outlet. There's not a lot you can do prior to acceptance/refusal. "Withoutabox" will cut the submission process time in half. It also gives you access to a huge list of festivals, perhaps you didn't know about.

Just ensure you answer the forms correctly, they're mostly straightforward, but I've been stumped when i foolishly couldn't narrow my material to a single genre.

I've never submitted a film to a festival. I have submitted (and published) many poems and short stories, however.

Most publications will list their preferences for simultaneous submissions in their submission guidelines. The vast majority nowadays understand the predicament of the author and no longer care if you submit elsewhere, so long as you notify them immediately if accepted in another venue. There are a few exceptions, of course.

I don't believe it's the case with short films/music videos. Although, that said, some festivals make ask for priority, that your work is to be premiered at their festival--But this usually runs with features. Yet still check on the T&C's.

Last edited:
I don't believe it's the case with short films/music videos. Although, that said, some festivals make ask for priority, that you're work is to be premiered at their festival--But this usually runs with features. Yet still check on the T&C's.

I'm sure you're right. After all, the submitter is usually paying a hefty fee. If there were no fee, perhaps I could see why they might want exclusivity ( is that a word?)

-C

Some festivals (like SD and Cannes) will only accept your film if it is premiering there--at least, this is what I've been told. Other festivals may have the same rules.

Other than the few select big dogs, you can submit to as many at a time as you want.

Thanks for the feedback!

I admit it's a bit of a nervewracking experience! lol But, like the rest of film it's all a learning process :) I will check "withoutabox". I will probably do more "free' ones, I don't have the coin to do big submission fees! lol

I have helped with several small ones. One thing is that you want to be sure that you submit it on the media that is requested and that it is playable in different machines. Usually R + were better.

I have helped with several small ones. One thing is that you want to be sure that you submit it on the media that is requested and that it is playable in different machines. Usually R + were better.

Thanks. I know I've always had issues with what type of DVD's to use (when burning for other reasons), R+ seem to be the best for different machines.

And I don't mind paying a reasonable fee, but if you're gonna ask like 800 to 1000 bucks fee, no, that's out of my price range....

When the fee costs more than what it costs to film and produce-that's a bit much ;)

Back to the festival grind myself. The best thing to do economically is hit the early deadline (which right now means you are submitting to festivals in 2001). I have a few high priority ones I am coughing up the $50 or $60 for the late deadline, but the bulk will be festivals held in mid 2011.

Back