Kindly explain these terms to me!

Greetings.
I have a Sony HDR XR100e that shoots in 1080i PAL mode. So far I have no problem with the camera.
But I have been reading around loads of forums and I do come across certain things that I dont understand. There are few terms I would like to know the meaning of and what exactly does it do in practicality?

From meetagadget.com-

Focal Length (35mm equivalent, at max. video resolution): 52 mm - 608 mm
Maximum aperture: f 1.8 - f 2.2
x.v.Color:Yes
Filter thread:Yes (Diameter: 30mm)

Namaste

The focal length refers to the amount of zoom of the lens. In "evil dead", Sam Raimi used the 18mm fisheye lens alot to give an odd movement to the frame (the spherical warping around the edges of the frame)... the 70's films used alot of long lenses, 500-600mm which compresses the distance between the foreground and background and emphasizes the blurriness of the background making the frame look more like an abstract painting.

Aperture is the size of the light hole in the lens... wider hole (smaller f-number) makes the background blurrier by reducing the "depth of field"... smaller hole makes a longer DoF and places more things in focus.

x.v.color, no idea...Filter thread is the screw on attachment bit at the end of the lens for putting on filters... this one is 30mm, my Canon XL1s has a 72mm thread, most DSLRs use a 52, 55 or 62mm thread.

Namaste is a greeting/salutation/goodbye... what, never mind, you didn't want a definition for that one ;) :P

Namaste

So basically does it mean that if i do a full zoom my focal length would be near 600mm and I kinda get the 70s film look??
I dont know if aperture size is smaller or bigger compared to other cameras but suppose I wanted to get a decent DoF with this camera..is there any thign i can do?
It does have manual focus which helps a bit if I keep background really far from the foregorund..and in some scenes I have used rotobrush cs5 recently to isolate the guy and fake dof...

Namaste is buddhist/hindu salutation that works as both hi and bye...lol:rolleyes:

The focal length refers to the amount of zoom of the lens. In "evil dead", Sam Raimi used the 18mm fisheye lens alot to give an odd movement to the frame (the spherical warping around the edges of the frame)... the 70's films used alot of long lenses, 500-600mm which compresses the distance between the foreground and background and emphasizes the blurriness of the background making the frame look more like an abstract painting.

Aperture is the size of the light hole in the lens... wider hole (smaller f-number) makes the background blurrier by reducing the "depth of field"... smaller hole makes a longer DoF and places more things in focus.

x.v.color, no idea...Filter thread is the screw on attachment bit at the end of the lens for putting on filters... this one is 30mm, my Canon XL1s has a 72mm thread, most DSLRs use a 52, 55 or 62mm thread.

Namaste is a greeting/salutation/goodbye... what, never mind, you didn't want a definition for that one ;) :P

Namaste

Well then, Aloha:

Zoom in with the iris wide open (smaller f-stop numbers) and set the camera back farther with as much distance between the subject and background as possible to get the shortest possible DoF.

Aloha!

Back