Geared tripod head

Anyone know where i can get one of these for a good price. Not $7000. Are they all that expensive?

cinemasupplies_2115_4962981

My only concern with geared tripod heads is the noise. Although I would hope for 7 grand they have done something about that.

Personally, my next tripod, it's fluid head or bust.

The Gearnex is freaking silent and pretty sweet for a gear head that inexpensive. Yes, I just called a $7K tripod head inexpensive. Silky smooth operation. Having said that, the company I know up here that owns that exact head *never* uses it. Ever. Not once have they pulled out the gear head on an actual shoot.

The only time it's seen use is during some tests I did on their RED, and when my buddy was shooting some stuff for fun. In fact I think the latter was the first time it was mounted, ever.

Interesting idea on the telescope heads. I wonder how smooth they are though? If they can match the smoothness and the silence of the purpose built head like the Gearnex, then an excellent alternative.

Why do you want a gear head? For cameras the size/weight most folks here are using, gears are probably overkill. With practice fluid heads can be operated with the same silky smoothness on just about any size modern camera.

Interestingly, there are also small gear heads for photo on places like B&H. Again, smoothness of the motion might be at issue here since they are designed for still cameras.

Back