• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Problems with MySpace

I hope MySpace doesn't count as another film community - but I'm not here to promote them in any case.

I've never had a problem uploading content legally to MySpace before, but it seems like since last I did, they've become much more careful. I'm glad, but... it seems excessive.

I attempted to upload one of our own songs to our MySpace page, and the upload privileges for the account were immediately suspended. I of course filed a counter-claim, and have been waiting for a response for quite some time.

It is absolutely essential to the Grammy campaign we are running to have presence on social media: facebook, MySpace, etc.

Have any of you gone through something similar, perhaps with videos or other content? How long does it usually take to resolve such issues, and what hoops did you have to jump through to convince MySpace that you were in fact the copyright owner of the content in question? I ask because the information on their website is woefully sparse, and the resources of information available about this particular issue are pretty much non-existent as far as I can tell.

Thanks for any information you can give me! I have other sources of information too, but this seemed a good place to ask.

I havent had THAT particular issue...but I have had issues with them before..

we have our own independent label and have several myspace pages..

and yes their response time is shitty in resolving any issues...
due to having so many pages to keep track of..

just have somebody else set up another page under another name and/or email address..

to be honest, myspace is played out now anyway, its not even hip anymore..

uploading content on there sucks because it compresses your audio and video down so much that it sounds and looks like shit IMO....

other sites have taken over like Facebook, Twitter, etc..

id suggest make sure you set up a facebook and twitter page for your artist and make sure you have a
website for them, then you can centralize everything on the website and promo it..

I would say dont even waste your time with myspace, nobody even goes on there anymore, it so played out....
our myspace page has like over 3 million hits on it and I dont even go on there anymore LOL..

but if you MUST have a myspace page, just set it up under a different name if they are taking too long..

Back