The next rung up from H4N? Plus a couple audio questions.

Hi everyone, it's my first time posting, but I've been lurking around the forum for awhile. I bought an H4N back in February and it did ok for one of my class projects although the headphone jack bent from an unfortunate fall while on a tripod. I did notice from what some of the others have said about the h4n that the preamps are "hissy". Despite my best efforts in Soundbooth I still was unable to remove some of the hissing.

I'm looking for something that has 4 xlr inputs and records to sdhc and something I can take in the field and carry in a shoulder bag. Something like the Edirol r-44 for example. Anybody have any good things to say about any mid-range multitrack recorders? Your recommendation would be appreciated.

A couple of questions on monitoring audio and headphone jacks/terminals:
In theory, if you have a device like the Edirol-44 that has an RCA output in addition to the headphone jack you could use that as a line for monitoring the audio with an RCA to 1/4" or 1/8" adapter? Also, are the 1/4" terminals for headphones any sturdier than the 1/4" ones are. It seems like I've bent a couple mp3 1/4" headphone terminals in the past. And I'd like to, if possible, eliminate headphone monitoring cords coming from the audio recorder. Is there a wireless headphone transmitter that will run off batteries that I can stuff in the bag along with the recorder?

A couple of questions pertaining to recording sound directly to a computer: Does anyone know if it's possible to rig the h4n so that you can monitor the sound and levels in Soundbooth or Audacity? It would have been nice to have at least been able to hear what the mic was picking up. Also, can anyone recommend a device that would plug into the usb port on a computer so you'd be able to plug in an xlr cable attached to a microphone so as to record to an audio program. Said device would also need to supply phantom power. It seems like such a device would be cheaper than standard field audio recording devices since you'd cut out the dingus that would serve to digitally store the audio signal leaving that to the computer itself. Said device might serve as a backup mic if I was really in a tight pinch or possibly for voice over work.

What are you looking to do (sound for your projects or to be a production sound mixer)?

Why do you need four channels?

And so one for the rest of your questions. They whys and whats have a lot to do with how I would answer.

Sorry about the delayed response, but 4 Channels is enough or more than enough channels for my own pet projects and class projects in the next couple years of university giving me the comfort of knowing I can use another channel or two if I have a situation that dictates it. Better safe than sorry I suppose. It also wouldn't hurt to have a decent, professional looking (and sounding or sound recording I should say) piece of sound equipment if say I was hired to do some video work for a local business.

But you didn't answer why you need four channels. Do you have four sound sources - a boomed mic and three lavs for example? If you are only recording a boomed mic the two extra channels are overkill. However, the pros use the Sound Devices 744T (around $4k), and popular with indie folks is the Edirol/Roland R-4 ($2,300). Just out recently is the Tascam DR-680 (about $900); it records eight channels - four XLR, and two 1/4" inputs, so only six simultaneously; I've heard mixed (pardon the pun) things about it.

Back