Sound quality differences 30ft. XLR cable vs 50 ft.?

Here's a very basic question where Experience enlightens the newbie!

I'm on the verge of buying
a Rode NTG2 mic (B&H kit) to use as a boom mic for dialogue.
I'm running it into a Canon Vixia HV40
through a Juicedlink CX211 XLR adapter.

Any issues or problems foreseen by anyone there, quality or compatability or tech-wise?

Please advise if there are! :hmm:

Also, I can buy a 30 ft Audio-Technica XLR audio cable ... or 50 foot ... the added length seems most useful ... but will I pick up any AUDIO QUALITY LOSS (loss of volume, or buzz, or whatever else) by using the longer 50ft cable?

Any help or advice will be appreciated!!! Thanks in advance!

Is this a decent audio package? Opinions and guidence invited!

Hey, Rockerrockstar! Thanks for the feedback! I'm assuming with you that the shorter the signal travels thru cable, the better ... but I don't really know about how much 20 ft extra of XLR cable matters, interference/buzz/hum-wise (versus the FREEDOM the extra length could give, while shooting) ???

Maybe XLR is so fine, it doesn't matter!

It hit me: 5 foot of cable is lost, going down from camera to floor ... 7 or eight is lost traveling back up to the boom mic ... so the 20 ft cable in the kit only gets you 10 ft away from the camera?

I probably gave my query thread here a dull title! :( Or maybe your answer said all that anyone CAN say: shorter is better!

Still ... does 50ft buzz more than 30 ft on XLR?
PS

Hello to a fellow Indiana filmmaker! Where you are? Indy? B-ton? I'm about 60 miles north of Indy, trying to get some filmmakers/actors together.

Have you checked out:

http://www.indianaactors.com/

It seems pretty useful, to any filmmaker closer to Indy.

What are you going to connect the cable to? If it is your camera it may need a shorter cable depending on the design. The higher the quality the cable the less likely it is to get a buzz/interference since it would be shielded better. Certain camera manufactures recommend a short cable to minimize noise. I did a google search and found some info and that is what I posted. I don't really know anymore than you do. I just know that I had issues with my longer xlr cables when I tried to record on my computer. If the cord is crossing other cords it may get itnerference. Look in your owners manual for your camera and see what their recommendations are.

I am in the south side of Indianapolis. I like to act in films. Do you have any samples of your work. Are you looking for actors for your next project? Or are you starting an Agency?

Last edited:
The Juicedlink units use really high-end parts. You won't have any issues with excess noise with a 50' cable.. in fact if you use high quality cables, you ought to be fine with 100' with little or no issues.

I've used a 50' and a 25' cable together for 75' with my beachtek xlr adapter on the hv20 with no problems.

Enjoy! And, thank you for considering the quality of your audio, your future viewers will appreciate it.

The length makes no difference - at least out to 150' feet or so - as long as you are running low impedance. The problems arise when you are running high impedance - RF interference, etc. - where the longer the cable is the more likelihood of there is problems occurring. The system you have outlined in your post is low impedance, so a 50' cable should not cause any problems. My own personal choice would be a 30' and an extra 20' or 30' so you have the extra length when you need it. Get good quality cables; you'll save lots of money in the long run. My personal preference is ProCo ExcelLines for light duty and ProCo LifeLines for heavy duty; I used them as a touring musician and had LifeLines cables last for years of (minimum) five set-ups/break-downs per week.

Thanks for all your replies, they helped out!

Rockerrockstar -- I'll definitely stay in touch and tell ya about anything we'll be shooting down around Indy (I'm just getting another proj rolling, and might end up shooting down there rather than up here)
Hey, I checked out some of your music you have on, and it's pretty cool sounds!

Back