• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Jason Shaw audionatuitx .... free music?

I was searching on youtube and came across the above name. It states on the website audionautix.com that Jason Shaw will let you download and use his music for free in return for credit.

Oddly ... the info he listed as a contact (either it was a website or an email ) does not work. So don't know if he is valid or not. I don't know if he only means that you can use his music on youtube.

Anyway didn't know if anyone heard of him...or what.

I was just curious. I looked up some 'free' music that was free in the sense the copyrights were gone but not free to use...some want over a hundred bucks. I was looking for free, meaning FREE.

you can use it under the creative commons law - or something like that.

credit his work in your movie and its fine to use it - same with incompetech.com where i got LOTS of music for stuff im working on

Creative Commons

By default, they are licensed under Creative Commons: By Attribution 3.0. To use this license, simply attribute the music in your piece (website, film, phone system, etc.) as is reasonable to the medium.

There is no cost to use music under the Creative Commons License.

is what it says on incompetech.com

Last edited:
I just wanted to make sure...I wasn't sure if he was referring to use in youtube only or otherwise.

The choices are pretty decent...from spooky to upbeat ect.

I feel like I am taking a crash course in film making...I am trying to squeeze my film making course (between here/youtube and foolin' around) in between work and play...

Thanks Smurfy

May all your smurf friends be with you!

Yep, sounds like you're good to go with a simple credit on the completed work. You may be confusing *free music* with *royalty-free music* wherein you'd be paying an initial fee.

Wiki def:
Royalty-free is a term employed in negotiating the right to use creative content, such as photographs, video, or music. The term royalty-free means that once the content is licensed under a set of guidelines, the licensee is normally free to use it in perpetuity without paying additional royalty charges.

Yep, sounds like you're good to go with a simple credit on the completed work. You may be confusing *free music* with *royalty-free music* wherein you'd be paying an initial fee.

ALWAYS read the fine print when using "Royalty Free" music. A number of these companies only allow you to use the material without paying royalties or giving proper credits if the project will not be broadcast (broadcast may or may not include YouTube, Vimeo, etc.) and/or distribution is less than 10,000 units (or some other arbitrary number).

Okay so I got a hold of Jason and he confirmed what was written on the webpage...it is free to use in any form so long as he is credited and he asks to be notified of its use.

Back