• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Sixty Seconds of Action - Short Action Movie

Hey everyone, new here. I wanted to share a short we made a few weeks ago. It's a short action sequence, more of an effects/equipment test but it's fun to watch :)

We shot it in an afternoon with a Canon 7D, 50mm f/1.4 lens, and a few friends and various other equipment. Spent about 40 hours in post working on the effects though!

Let me know how you like it! Criticism is more than welcome, we're always looking to improve, We're in post on the next project so we'll take it all to heart. Thanks!

YouTube Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5APm86UxUM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5APm86UxUM

It's a nice technique, you've worked it better than any I've seen so far. The lighting was a little strong at points, but it's forgivable.

My only real critique would lay with the lack of recoil, but be this more of test-shoot material, I'll believe you'd have looked further into your product had it been a full-scale project.

Nice work guys.

That's pretty badass.

I'm not a fan of the AE blood-splatters. I don't think they look real, at all. Also, as Papertwin mentioned, how come these gunshots don't cause any recoil? You've got a dude shooting a pretty high-caliber gun, pointing it with a limp wrist, and it doesn't move. Anyway...

Dude, your camera movement, shot selection, editing, audio, and lots of other stuff -- top notch. Bravo!

Thanks again for the input guys.

It is Video Copilot's action essentials, but if all you're needing from the kit is muzzle flashes it's way too easy to make you're own to justify it. I've been using a particle plug in a lot lately in After Effects than can actually generate most of everything in the kit, and I'm using it a lot more in the next short.

Haha, a lot of people comment on the recoil. On the shoot day we had the actors fake it and then shoot without a lot, it looked better solid. We figured that if a guy can shimmy on up and take out four others without flinching, he an probably hold a gun without kicking too much haha. We did talk to an infantry man, he surprisingly said the rifle looked ok, but the pistol would kick way more.

It's something to keep in mind for sure, working on recoil. It's hard to nail down well. Thanks again for all the input. This forum seems pretty helpful!

It was great. I think you got it down pretty good. The action sequence was really cool how it was filmed. I think the film looks a little over bright maybe darken the brightness.

Last edited:
Back