View Full Version : Dual XLR inputs - dual audio import?

Zensteve
07-16-2010, 01:53 PM
Here's the situation:

I borrowed a Sony Z1U from a friend, to film a live event. There's a sound-guy & sound-board there, so I'll be connected to the sound-board for great audio with an XLR cable to channel #1.

Now... as my friend drove away (for vacation), he said I should use the plug-in camera-mounted mic in channel #2 to also record the sound of what is happening in the immediate area.

Question is: If channel #1 & channel #2 are used at the same time, to record to tape, do they get merged as a single audio track? Or, when I import to Prem4, will I automagically have two separate audio tracks that I can adjust independently of each other?

In case it matters, I'll be importing all footage with a Canon HV40; not the Z1U itself.

I am not camera-technical at all. Thanks. :cool:

knightly
07-16-2010, 02:01 PM
L/R Stereo are separate tracks :) record away, then separate in the NLE afterwards :)

wheatgrinder
07-16-2010, 04:22 PM
You can setup premiere to treat stereo audio as two discrete mono tracks, or you can "break out to mono" after the fact.

Look into Clip > Audio Options > Breakout To Mono

for the latter and

(do this to your setup before you import the clips)

1. Choose Edit > Preferences > Audio
2. In the Source Channel Mapping area, choose Mono from the Default Track Format menu.
3. Click OK.

for the former.

wheatgrinder
07-16-2010, 04:24 PM
Another use for the unused channel, (assuming your not getting a stereo mix from the sound guy) is to have the same input but recorded at a lower level. That way if you "clip" on the Left track, you might still have usable audio on the Right track.

knightly
07-16-2010, 04:47 PM
Another use for the unused channel, (assuming your not getting a stereo mix from the sound guy) is to have the same input but recorded at a lower level. That way if you "clip" on the Left track, you might still have usable audio on the Right track.

I love this technique "Safety Tracking"... it's saved my butt many times.

Zensteve
07-16-2010, 05:46 PM
See, this is why I don't do audio. :lol:

I'm happy to know the tracks won't be merged, at any rate. I'm a menace when I hold a camera.

Thanks guys. :cool:

Alcove Audio
07-16-2010, 10:19 PM
I'm not at all familiar with cameras, but I would be sure that the panning (if the camera has that option) is hard left and hard right, otherwise you will get bleed. I have gotten slightly mixed to completely mixed audio tracks that were supposed to be separate, which is a bloody disaster.