Portable Audio Recorders

Can anyone recommend some sub £100 portable audio recorders? I'm on a very tight budget and have recently seen the Zoom H1 for £89 which looks promising but can't find anything competitive in this price range (only £150 - £200 devices). It must have mic input and headphone output.

Any cons to these devices?

It means the longer your run your microphone cable the more prone it is to radio interference. It can act as a large antennae, picking up stray radio noise and static from fluorescent lights, etc.

You can get an adapter that will transfer it from unbalanced to balanced, but for the amount of money this will cost you can pick up the Zoom H4, which already has XLR (balanced) inputs.

I have a Zoom unit and love it except that the menu is pretty difficult to learn at first. It's an essential item for me as my camera doesn't have a way to turn manually adjust audio levels.

It means the longer your run your microphone cable the more prone it is to radio interference. It can act as a large antennae, picking up stray radio noise and static from fluorescent lights, etc.

You can get an adapter that will transfer it from unbalanced to balanced, but for the amount of money this will cost you can pick up the Zoom H4, which already has XLR (balanced) inputs.

AND CELL PHONES,

And if you have an unbalanced cable,

DO NOT RUN IT NEXT TO OR ON TOP OF POWER CABLES. You get a hum. BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

^ H4n is also triple the price.

I've just ordered a new microphone so may get the Zoom h1 to record with it. I have a macbook that I can use for now but that's less than ideal.

And I'm guessing if it's all right for musicians it's going to be good for film making (sound quality wise). Plug in a shotgun mic and some headphones and I see no reason for it not to work well on set.

Back