digital vs video

hey guys

what is the different between digital and video format film

if i shoot a film in canon hv camcorder , will it be digital film or video film

thanx in advance for clarifying me on this matter

Digital is video and video is digital...basically...not sure how analog fits into this...but I'm sure in terms of current technology, digital and video are one and the same (digital video).

The only two formats that are unique to each other are Digital and Film.

The terms 'digital film' and 'video film' don't work...film is a separate entity--although we do call digital movies 'films' still...but I imagine that will never go away (nor should it).

Last edited:
Digital is video and video is digital...basically...not sure how analog fits into this...but I'm sure in terms of current technology, digital and video are one and the same (digital video).

The only two formats that are unique to each other are Digital and Film.

The terms 'digital film' and 'video film' don't work...film is a separate entity--although we do call digital movies 'films' still...but I imagine that will never go away (nor should it).
I wonder when will 'film' become obsolete...

I’ll just second M1chae1’s post.

If you shoot with a Canon camcorder you would be shooting “film”
at all. You will be shooting digital. If you are using tape you
will be shooting digital videotape, if you are shooting to a hard
drive you will be shooting digital and if you are shooting to
solid state media you will be shooting digital.

Analog is an older video tape format like Beta, VHS, Hi-8.

I wonder when will 'film' become obsolete...

Thursday, June 15, 2023

"digital video" means that the timecode is absolute and recorded "digitally", which allows a computer to control the camera and digitize/capture footage with a computerized "to-the-frame" accuracy that was not available on ANALOG video.

Since so many video cameras are now tapeless, recording to solid state like P2, SD or CF cards, along with the new look of shallow depth of field from DSLRs, the vogue term for this is simply "digital" instead of saying "digital video". The word "video" connotated something sub-par or an aesthetic look that was not preferred, especially by filmmakers. So the press is now calling it "digital". "Video" also generally meant some form of tape, albeit inaccurately. I think it's a new marketing term to make the DSLR looking video more acceptable and losing the word "video" from the lexicon to legitimize the movement.

Technically, you can have digital video, or just video. You can now have digital with no tape at all.

It's almost a "who's on first" routine...

Back