T2i owners -- you should check this link.

I didn't know what AGC stood for so I googled it. Apparently a lot of folks have posted workarounds or hacks to disable the AGC. Might work.....
I mean, it's not a huge deal; I've already resigned myself to using an external audio recorder (mostly for the preamp). It would just be nice to be able to mount something on the camera and get decent audio if I'm just dickin' around by myself.

I've seen some of the workarounds, but I wasn't aware of a hack. I'll check 'em out, thanks.

So they're not going to disable AGC being permanently on? Meh.

Well, if you're trying to record to you camera, in my opinion, you should be using an XLR adapter. There happens to be an XLR adapter out there that has an AGC disabler built in. If you're interested, I'll find the link. The reason I lost interest in this particular product is because it's actually more expensive than the Zoom H4n. So, my mic is disconnected from my camera, and I'm spending less? Sweet.

Well, if you're trying to record to you camera, in my opinion, you should be using an XLR adapter. There happens to be an XLR adapter out there that has an AGC disabler built in. If you're interested, I'll find the link. The reason I lost interest in this particular product is because it's actually more expensive than the Zoom H4n. So, my mic is disconnected from my camera, and I'm spending less? Sweet.
Yeah, but I recall reading that for some reason the AGC disabler on those adapters doesn't work on the T2i.

Plus, there's the whole "same price as external audio" thing.

Yeah, but I recall reading that for some reason the AGC disabler on those adapters doesn't work on the T2i.

Plus, there's the whole "same price as external audio" thing.

I'm just saying that if you buy this camera, or any DSLR for that matter, or most (inexpensive) HDV cameras, you should plan on buying an XLR adapter, cuz they all have mini-jacks, and I don't think it's the best idea to shoot like that. So, in that respect, the T2i is no different than the V or the VII. You have to (or should at least consider) buying an XLR adaptor for ALL of them, and there's an XLR adapter out there, made specifically for the T2i, that disables it's AGC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9APix9B-BzQ

I've not used this product, but I think the Youtube presentation is pretty impressive. So, I almost bought it. But then I was like, damn, the Zoom H4n is cheaper! And I won't have to worry about those annoying cables attached to my camera.

Last edited:
External Audio Recorder. All the time.

Just clap your hands in front of the lens if you don't have a slate. In-camera audio is best reserved for scratch track, assuming you like to edit that way.

Back