How do I option a biography?

I have recently stumbled upon a true story about someone that I think would make a great film. When I began researching this person I found out that someone else is writing a biography on his life. Now the biography hasn't been published yet. I was wondering how would I go about optioning this biography since it hasn't been published yet? Also, are there different "rules" that I have to go by since it is a biography and not just a novel?

Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks!

-D.W.

All i can say is that the biography will have got permission from the deceased's (i'm assuming) estate and that permission would need to be sought once again for a film.

In addition to getting it from the biographer, i mean.

The rules are the same for a novel or a biography. When you
say "option" do you mean that in the strictest meaning? Are
you ready to pay to option the rights for a period of time?

The rules are the same for a novel or a biography. When you
say "option" do you mean that in the strictest meaning? Are
you ready to pay to option the rights for a period of time?

Basically all I want to know is how do I go about getting permission to write this screenplay when someone is writing a biography about the same person. I've done some research and my understanding is that since it is a true story, the person is deceased and was not famous, and I won't tarnish his image, I can write it because it is my first amendment right. Just like a newspaper does, they can write about anyone because they have the right to.

Does this make sense?

Basically all I want to know is how do I go about getting permission to write this screenplay when someone is writing a biography about the same person. I've done some research and my understanding is that since it is a true story, the person is deceased and was not famous, and I won't tarnish his image, I can write it because it is my first amendment right. Just like a newspaper does, they can write about anyone because they have the right to.

Does this make sense?

You don't. Biographies are stories told via research public and private but basically they're your story is about historical facts not the story of the person you are writing about. You option direct accounts of events and auto-biographies only. There can be hundreds of biographies, and no two of them will present the information the same way.

It's not a biography if you are interviewing the subject and writing things down basically. For these you would option the story since it will take time to write it up and get a script going so you don't want to lose it. You're banking on the 'true story of X' factor. This true story factor means nothing if the public doesn't see an immediate value in the subject so this option goes from little money or lots depending on how hot this story is.

Hope it helps.

Last edited:
Back