XL-2 vs XM-2

What are the main differences between the XL2 and XM2?

I know both are SD but they make some beautiful images. Then again, they're quite expensive camera, aren't they? For their age....

Would I be better off getting a HV30 or HV40, for around the same price range, or less?

I'm a first time film-maker on a budget of £700 MAX.

I see excellent films online coming from the HV's and the XL/M's....it's tough choosing.

Maybe there's something obvious i'm missing. I'd like to start with MiniDv, rather than HDD or cards.

Any advice is appreciated.

What are the main differences between the XL2 and XM2?

XL2 is NTSC & the XM2 is PAL?

Probably some other differences, too. I couldn't even say if they are the same base camera. The GL series might be related to one.

Would I be better off getting a HV30 or HV40

The HV's are a lot smaller, with correspondingly smaller controls. (The manual focus wheel on the HV40 is handy, but seriously... tiny)

That's all I know. :cool:

Thanks dude, for trying at least.

I do know that the XM2 is the Pal equivalent of the GL2. The XL2 is the sucessor to the XL1, I believe. After the XL series, came the XM/GL series. I'm just wondering how the XM's improved on the earlier XL's.

I'll probably end up getting a HV30 as I am just a beginner and the Canon XM's would probably drive me crazy with features I can't use.

Well looking at the information on the xm2, it seems like most of the information is coming from Europe. So I don't really think it has been released in the states (?). If so I guess it never caught on or something. But taking a look at the images of the gear, well it looks like the lens is fixed and can't switch out. Here is the list they give it in one advertisement.

Canon Professional L-Series Fluorite Lens, 20x optical zoom/100x digital zoom F1.6, Optical image stabiliser with VAP, Direction accurate stereo microphone, Two-channel audio level manual control, Three shooting modes: normal, photo, frame movie

Now I currently learning DV on a Canon XL2 and it takes a pretty good picture. I have a reason why I'm wanting to use the Canon XL2 for my features over HD cameras. But I do like the range of lenses I can use. Sure some are expensive but if you take you time your can get some REALLY good deals. Also it records in time code, different speed recording, buttons are real easy to use, etc. Here is a paste of the same camera from the same UK store.

The XL2 brings a host of performance and convenience features to this class of video camcorder- benefits that can't be found in this combination on other high-end video cameras. They include: Canon Super Range Optical Image Stabilization in the standard lens; dual aspect ratios; various frame rate capabilities; image gamma and detail controls; skin detail control and convertible LCD display and among others.

The XL2 may cost a little bit more and you may need some more practice with the thing, I know I needed to. But what you are looking for may be different from my needs in what I need a camera to do. Also, the MX2 kind of reminds me of the Canon GL, not sure if they are the same or an improved version. Also, here are the specifications of both cameras.

XM2

Detailed item info
Product MPN
MPN XM2

Key Features
Camcorder Type Digital
Recording Format Mini DV
Recording System PAL
Optical Zoom 20x
Weight 0.3 kg

CCD
Sensor Quantity 3
Sensor Size 1/4"
Number of Pixels 470K pixels

LCD / Viewfinder
Display Type With LCD Screen
LCD Panel Size 2.5 in.
Color Viewfinder With Color Viewfinder

Lens
Optical Zoom 20x
Digital Zoom 100x
Lens Focal Length 4.2 - 84 mm
Filter Diameter 58 mm

Video Modes
Recording Speed LP, SP
Image Stabilizer With Image Stabilizer
Recommended Illumination 100 Lux
Low Lux 3 Lux

Audio
Audio Format 12/16 Bit PCM Digital Stereo Audio

Memory Photography
Memory Card Type SD Card
Digital Still Shot Mode With Still Shot Capability
Memory Still Resolution 1.68 Megapixels
Max Still Image Size 1488 x 1128
MPEG Movie Mode Without MPEG Movie Mode

Interfaces
Output Interfaces Audio (RCA), Composite (Video), FireWire / DV / i.Link, Headphones Jack, S-Video, USB
Input Interfaces Audio (RCA), Composite (Video), FireWire / DV / iLink, S-Video
Microphone Type Internal

Power Supply
Battery Type Proprietary Lithium

Dimensions
Height 13.6 cm
Width 11.8 cm
Weight 0.3 kg
Depth 30.6 cm

Miscellaneous
Family Line Canon DM
UPC 4960999110936

XL2

Canon XL2 Camcorder
Television System: EIA standard (525 lines, 60 fields) NTSC color signal
Image Sensor: Size 1/3", approx. 680,000 pixels (total), Progressive Scan CCD x3 (charge-coupled device) with horizontal pixel shift
Video Recording System: Two rotating heads, helical scan azimuth recording, DV System (Consumer digital VCR SD system) digital component recording
Audio recording System: PCM digital recording: 16 bit (48 kHz/2 channels); 12 bit (32 kHz/4 channels) Synchronous 4-channel recording is possible
Tape Format: Video cassettes bearing the MiniDV mark
Tape Speed: SP: 0.74 ips (18.81mm/second), LP; 0.49 ips (12.56 mm/seco
Maximum Recording Time : SP; 80 min.
Lens Mount: XL interchangeable lens system
Focusing System: 9TTL autofocus. Manual focusing possible (20x zoom XL 5.4-108mm L IS installed)

Viewfinder: 2.0-inch TFT color LCD; Approx. 200,000 pixels, RGB delta configuration
Microphone: Stereo electric condenser microphone
Total Pixels: 16:9 target area: approx. 460,000 pixels (962 x 480) x3 CCD, 0.289" diagonal
4:3 target area: approx. 350,000 pixels (720 x 480) x3 CCD, 0.236" diagonal
DV Terminal: 4-pin connector (complies with IEEE1394); input/output switching
Dimensions: 8.9 x 8.7 x 19.5 in. (225 x 220 x 496mm)
Weight (fully loaded): 7.8 lbs. (3545g)
Housing Dimensions: 41cm L, 30cm H, 28cm W (36cm with handles).
Weight: 11.4Kg

Good luck.

EDIT: Also note: if I had more practice with it I could give you more info but that is all I have right now. ; )

Last edited:
Back