Okay, lets really talk cameras

I have been asked to give some recommendations of digital video cameras for a school some people I know are planning to open. He asked about some cameras that had hard drives. So I am doing some research for them and for myself. I know about the Canon XLs and the Panasonic DVXs, but only about the ones that are not HD.

However, I need some cameras to look up and check out. So, IT peeps. What should I look at? Do not suggest handicams. I am talking about Prosumer cameras starting at about $3,000. I already really like the Sony EX series and will be checking them out. I remember hearing about a JVC in passing, I don't know which one it was so I'm going to go to the B&H website. What else should I look at?

Part of the reason I am putting this in this part of the forum is because there are so many new people saying "I need a good camera,". When you are starting out, a good camera is the one you can afford. Once you know what you are doing, most likely you will get a Prosumer camera.

I will not be looking at the RED ONE camera. It is impractical. Any camera that costs $17,500 without the lenses, lcd screen, etc is not at all something these folks can afford. Which is why I am looking at the
Sony EX 3s. The higher end camera is about $6,000 and the pictures are gorgeous and the import time for hours of footage can be as brief as 30 minutes because of the hard drive. Did I mention this camera makes its own clips?

But I still want to see what else is out there. So all you vets out there, give me some recommendations or at least something to check out and look into. I would really be appreciative.

-- spinner :cool:

There are three Sony's cameras I am looking at to purchase one of in the next month. Pulling cash together now. How much cash I can get my hands on, will determine which camera. I have done lots of research. But have yet to use any of the three.
Top of my list is the Sony PMW EX-3. At 35Mbps (HQ) and using affordable SXS Pro Memory Cards -- you work in top image quality with tapeless format. Next would be the Sony HXR-NX5U NXCAM Professional Camcorder and last (I could almost buy now) Sony HDR-AX2000 AVCHD Camcorder. The last two work with my current HD edit system. I would have to upgrade my MacPro and software to handle the EX-3 due to the 35Mbps (more money). ALL work on memory cards -- no tape to buy. You also get a big bang for the buck on the amount of minutes the cards will hold. All get very high ratings across the board.
I have used Sony DVcam for the past 14 years. Want to make that HD jump too. Hope this helps.

My only recommendation in the $3,000 to $4,000 range is the
JVC HM100 - and it’s under $3,000. It had 2 SDHC slots and records
to Quicktime format. It has an excellent Fujinon HD lens just like
pro ENG cameras.

Panasonic has the HMC150 that records to SDHC media. I wasn’t too
happy with the lens but the 1/3” CCD’s are larger than the JVC.

Until recently the Sony PD170 was my small camera of choice - I
like Sony cameras. The AX2000 is the non tape version and I found
it to a fine camera.

I have always believed that all cameras in a similar price range
from a major manufacturer are so close in specs that the choice
will ultimately come down to personal preference.

don is a Sony user. No real need to change brands. I’m a JVC user
so I tend to lean towards their cameras. Those who are Canon users
will most likely continue using Canon cameras. I’ve done test
drives with a lot of different models. I often look at tech sites
where they go deeply into numbers and graphs but I don’t really
care about those things. For me, it’s all about using the camera
on a set or to shoot a documentary. The end result won’t be
noticeable to the average user.

I know that right now the DSLR is the hot item. I’ve used several
of them and while the final image is undeniably excellent I don’t
like using them to make a movie. I come from a slightly different
perspective than many of you - the functionality of the camera is
most important to me.

Thanks for responding.

I am hoping to look at cameras up to $10,000. I'm not buying them, but I know that right now, the people I am trying to help out, do not have alot of money right now. I don't think it would be practical yet to get a studio grade camera at this time. I'm thinking really good, top end prosumer, on good tripods mounted on good rollers.

Then without a doubt I would highly recommend the
JVC HM700L with the Fujinon lens. It's the camera I
own. I recently used it to shoot "The Amazing Race".

The HM790U is it's slightly better big sister. I recently
shot with it (using a Fujinon lens and not the standard
Canon) for national news. It has a better Color Space
for broadcast.

There's the Panasonic HPX370 and I have used and
really like the EX3. But I would choose the JVC over
any of them.

Thanks, Rik! and Don. I really appreciate it.

This group is trying to start a school and they feel they will have the funding for whatever they need, but I am thinking that until they know what kind of funding they'll have, lets not look at the DVC Pro's type cameras right now. Plus they will be videotaping some services at a local church.

I can talk about some cameras, but not all.

If anyone else has a suggestion, by all means, make it. If money were no object, I'd have a Sony EX 3 in my hot little filmmaker mitts!:D

FWIW:

I am sort of a Canon fan, but I don't like their current line of prosumer HD cameras. The AH-G1 or whatever it is, IMHO, is pretty ugly in a lot of ways. Haven't used it's big brother personally, but have seen the footage and I don't think it's as good as other options at that price point.

I kinda prefer their older FD lenses to the Nikon ones I see with adapter kits most of the time, but I don't have any rational reason for that, just that I grew up shooting AE-1 and am used to using them. Still shoot my AE-1, but I digress.

I'm not sold on the DSLR thing. Until they dump h.264 I can't get excited. I do like the way they handle color, but the compression artifacts just irritate me. :)

The EX-3 is a great camera, with lots of options for lenses. Although that's not their $6K camera, that's the EX-1 (EX-1R at this point). That's also an excellent camera, although is fixed lens, so for film making you are back to the cost of an adapter and blah blah blah. If don't already own that stuff, might as well go for the EX-3.

I know that right now the DSLR is the hot item. I’ve used several
of them and while the final image is undeniably excellent I don’t
like using them to make a movie. I come from a slightly different
perspective than many of you - the functionality of the camera is
most important to me.

But what I can't seem to figure out is why anyone would buy a still photography camera to shoot a movie. I know someone who is always suggesting this and I just, for the life of me, cannot figure out why a filmmaker would buy that to shoot a movie. The handicams are too small for me so I know that the size of this would turn me off and its not made to do films even though the capacity is there.

...I don't get it....:huh:

EDIT: I do remember seeing a really great JVC but I don't remember which it was, it was a long time ago. Right now, I'm looking at everything.

Back