If submitting to festival, required to attend?

I was just wondering, If you submit to a film festival, and your film gets accepted, are you required to go to it? Is it strongly recommended?

I'm thinking people wouldn't be likely to attend if they submit to a festival far far away. Cause if I submitted to a given festival far away I prob. wouldn't be able to afford to travel to it. So is it always better to stay local?

You don't have to attend. It'd probably be in your best interest personally and experience-wise, but if it's not financially sound don't go. Just better for the experience (as I've just said). But submit anywhere and everywhere you want, don't limit yourself just because you can't go.

If it gets accepted, it doesn't matter about your presence to the audience's enjoyment, the film will be there regardless.

I live in California and submitted a film to a central Florida film festival. It premiered and placed 3rd, but I'm wondering if it could have placed higher if I was there for the Q&A. Regardless, I consider it a win for even premiering.

Back