Best cameras at or under $200

I'm seriously considering getting into documentary filmmaking, but I'm just starting out, and money is very tight, so I'm considering any camera that's at or below $200, just as something to start out with before I can upgrade to a better one. I looked on amazon.com for various camcorders in my price range but I get discouraged by some of the poor reviews that some people give them, even on the name brands. Does anyone here have any suggestions on any good camcorders in this price range, particularly any that can hook up to a computer for editing?

In your price range you aren't going to be getting anything
more than a point-and-shoot-have-fun-with-your-friends
camera. A "Flip" has a surprisingly good image and is in your
price range. You won't be able to get a camera that has a mic
input (which is very important) or one that will allow you any
control over shutter, iris or focus. They are "everything automatic"
cameras.

The good news is, you can use a Flip camera for starting out and
you can transfer the footage to a computer for editing. With some
effort and creativity you could make a decent documentary.

I've thought about Flip cameras but decided against them, because they have a tendency to break down easily. At this point, I'm not really sure.

Realistically, at that kind of price point, I don't think you'll be able to be too picky about it. The Flip cameras do seem to be highly recommended, and the footage I've seen is pretty good for the price.

chilipie is right, pacey. In your price range you aren't
going to get a camera that is sturdy and has no tendency
to break down. Manufacturers use a lot of cheap plastic to
keep a camera at $200 and under.

First, when you are starting out, almost any camera is sufficient. However, I don't know anything about Flip cameras. I don't know if they break down so listen to people who know.

Second, to find a camera for $200, you might seriously consider going to the pawn shop. Not kidding.

Or maybe wait until you have a couple more dollars? And don't be in a hurry to get one, shop around. You might get lucky and find something cheap at ABC Warehouse or Meijer or K-Mart.

And by the way, I think it was Will Vincent, who posts on this board, that used a little Canon camcorder that couldn't have cost more than $600 and put a HUGE professional lens on it and shot a film. Looked great. You won't be able to afford the lens, but the camera was affordable.

When it comes to getting what you need, think creatively.

-- spinner :cool:

Veho Kuzo - straight up the best low budget camera i think you will ever be able to buy.

http://www.amazon.com/Veho-VCC002HD...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1276973925&sr=8-1

$150, has an above average mic. maybe isnt so good in low light but is the best camera i think that you can buy for this.

get a good tripod and good editing software for HD and it can look really good.

Don't forget though with this camera you'll need to buy a flash memory card for it. And the reviews said that it only comes with a European AC plug. Just some things to consider before (if) you buy.

pacey;

Before you go and blow that $200 on a flip camera....

One of the places you should always look first is B&Hphotovideo.com They have EVERYTHING. Check there and see if you can't find what you want and get it from them or go see if you can find the camera you want on B&H and then go to your local discount electronic store.

I just went to b&h and found these: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Camcorders/pn/5/ci/1871/Ns/p_PRICE_2|0/N/4294548093

Pass all the Flip Cameras and look at the ones that look like actual camcorders. Alot of these are in your price range. Some are $300 dollar cameras with $100 dollar rebates...

So, let's say money's NOT an issue.

Let's say I want to start making films, and I won the lottery. I'm not a novice in video, but I'm not a pro, either.

Mid-range, solid (maybe only a couple lenses)

Suggestions and prices?

If money wasnt an issue and u won the lottery, get an Epic and take some classes to learn how to work it. basic epic package: 28000

But then u say mid range: wait for the Scarlet, or considering whats available now: Hvx200a with a 35mm adaptor and a couple of lenses: 8000

Or if that still isnt mid range then get a DSLR, Canon 7d or 5d mk ii with a couple of lenses: 2400 - 3400

It really all depends on what u want so take everyones suggestions and type em in google and research research research

EDIT: all these costs will go up bc ull end up wanting a tripod, steadicam, monitor, follow focus etc etc

To OP: 200 or under, i have no idea. as everyone said a regular point and shoot is what ur going to get for this price.

Last edited:
You want a prosumer camera. Those start at about $1,000.

You can go to b&hphotovideo.com also. :D Anything you want is there. I got my DVX there and they pack them well so they arrive safely.

EDIT: Of course you can always go to eBay, but B&H will tell you what the camera costs new. They also have used stuff sometimes.

I say if you are starting out, get any camera you can and use it.

This is so you can work out how framing works and learn for yourself through experience.

Buy an HD Flip and have a ball seeing how framing, continuity, editing, angles, etc. etc. work and watch movies and see how they did certain things and try to mimic it or come up with something else on your own which is totally different.

There's no right or wrong camera if you're starting out and learning.

I'd strongly recommend buying a tripod too. It won't be one with a nice fluid head, just something to keep your camera steady. You'll need it when shooting with a camera that small and light.

I have a Flip Mino HD. And all i can say is that it has great video, audio is alright, the zoom sucks (obviously). But other than that, its small and light weight, i constantly take it anywhere, and filmed a couple short films on it. Im now upgrading to a Canon T2i because i finally saved up for it. I say, buy the flip. You wont regret it.

PS. You may want to but an audio recorder. Documentaries naturally have alot of talking.

Back