• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Need your help!!

Hey folks. I've entered this contest to make a commercial for crystal light. I think my video turned out really good. (I'm normally not into this kind of thing, but I could really use the money for better equipment)

Here's the link:
http://www.poptent.net/media/16887

Of course I'd really like to know what you guys think of it.

After you watch it, if you feel so inclined, it would mean a lot to me if you could 'connect' or 'sign in' (you can use your facebook or google account) and click 'like.' I'm not sure if the contest is based on votes like that, but I think a lot of likes would help my chances.

So check it out, click like, let me know what you think, and make me really happy!!!!

Good job!

As I noted in my comment on the site, the only tiny glitch was a quick waver of the camera just before you panned up the tree.

Otherwise, can't find a single nit.

Good job!

As I noted in my comment on the site, the only tiny glitch was a quick waver of the camera just before you panned up the tree.

Otherwise, can't find a single nit.

Thanks! I replied to your comment on there. But yeah, hopefully I've got this in the bag.

I was really surprised once I put on the music and VO at how much it really does look like a commercial, despite the fact that it's a minute long :)

Thanks! I replied to your comment on there. But yeah, hopefully I've got this in the bag.

I was really surprised once I put on the music and VO at how much it really does look like a commercial, despite the fact that it's a minute long :)

So, what does a fluid-head tripod cost nowadays?

So, what does a fluid-head tripod cost nowadays?

Hmm, well the really good ones are several hundred for just the head. My research has gone as far as knowing that the best ones are out of my price range at the moment. But I have found ones with decent reviews for around 100 bucks.

Fluid head tripod + dolly = me dying happy :P

EDIT:
oh, and a follow focus

Need pop screen for mic. Once I heard the first pop on a p it took me out of it. Also at the very end of the audio there is something.

Good luck.

Did the rules specify a one minute duration?

I'll get you a thumbs-up as soon as I find my login info for something.

Hey Dready - great job. I like it. I like your voice and delivery. Though, I think a U87 would fit your voice better than a 57 or whatever you're using.

If you want it, here's my honest opinion. Don't take it personally! :

I think the better half of the American population would rather see a female doing pilates in a park like that.

I don't particularly like the shadows of the leaves on his face when you first see him.

The VO could be better edited and recorded. Especially the P and clickiness.. But that's just me and what I do for a living.

The lighting is a bit off and a little too "sunny" for me from about 3/4ths to the end when he's stretching etc.

At the end should you really put him in a meditation stance? I mean, I don't know if the company wants their product positioned with that sort of message. Yoga/meditation.

Also, I don't know what the rule of thumb is for commercials but I know companies make it a point of placing their logo center-screen and huge for a certain amount of time so that anyone fast-forwarding through commercials can still see the logo and product they are selling. I don't know if you've got the name of the product big enough - it's kind of in the bottom right hand corner and a little small.

Anyway - hope you don't hate me, now. :P

Good job!

Last edited:
Oh, and you should know I clicked on some of the other contest submissions and told the truth in comments and thumbs down on all positive comments for them.

Haha. I hope I don't get hate-e-mail.

Comment on Stolen Secret submission video:

"The audio quality is horrible.

I also don't like the infidelity the guy suggests he is having with his girlfriend. I wouldn't buy this product based of seeing this commercial. Some You-Tube blogs are of better quality."

and:

"I think the musical track chosen for this piece is copyrighted. Please check the validity and legality of using the music...

The woman at the beginning doesn't look anything like the woman at the end. I sort of get the idea that she's supposed to be the same person, but it reminds me of a bad infomercial."

and:

"To be brutally honest, the waterfall sounds like digital distortion and test tones for televisions and if I was getting up to go get popcorn during my TV show I would think my TV suddenly got busted. There is no product placement, there is no VO to tell me what Oranges, Grapes and Kiwis are doing being superimposed behind a waterfall. I don't know what the filmmaker was thinking, because I certainly did not get a solid and clear message to buy this product or even what the product is.... Would you spend 2 million dollars to air this during the NBA Finals?"

When you win, you should give me a cut.

VOTE FOR PEDRO!!!

Last edited:
Hey Dready - great job. I like it. I like your voice and delivery. Though, I think a U87 would fit your voice better than a 57 or whatever you're using.

If you want it, here's my honest opinion. Don't take it personally! :

I think the better half of the American population would rather see a female doing pilates in a park like that.
I totally agree, it would ideally be a woman. But the fact that I can't do yoga or anything, and didn't want to give a cut to some actress (lol) meant I went in the male direction. I figured at the very least, women like looking at a hot guy :)
I don't particularly like the shadows of the leaves on his face when you first see him.
Agreed. I should have brought a reflector or something with me to film. Next time, next time....
The VO could be better edited and recorded. Especially the P and clickiness.. But that's just me and what I do for a living.
Yes, better mics I think would help. Was the mix alright though? I'm still not sure what decibel is appropriate when mixing voice over music (or for anythiny, in fact :P)
Also, I don't know what the rule of thumb is for commercials but I know companies make it a point of placing their logo center-screen and huge for a certain amount of time so that anyone fast-forwarding through commercials can still see the logo and product they are selling. I don't know if you've got the name of the product big enough - it's kind of in the bottom right hand corner and a little small.
That's good to know, marketers are such tricksters. The creative brief for the contest said that they wanted something that was education and/or humorous, and something that is 'not your typical commercial.' Whatever that means (maybe they were hoping to strike gold and get a viral video out of it, lol).

I basically decided to just make it like a commercial anyway, because I feel like no matter what that brief says, a businessperson looking at them is probably going to pick the more classic style.
Anyway - hope you don't hate me, now. :P

Good job!

Not at all! Thanks for the honest detailed feedback, and also thanks for doing a little campaigning for me :D

Need pop screen for mic. Once I heard the first pop on a p it took me out of it. Also at the very end of the audio there is something.

Good luck.

It's true, indeed. I need to mind my p's and q's. D'oh! Sean told me that there was a click at the end of the recording and I completely forgot to cut it out! Grr. Next time. :grumpy:

Thanks for taking a look at it!!

Bumping the thread in the home stretch.

The competition ends on wednesday, so if anyone forgot to 'like' it, now is the time :D

And more feedback is, as always, welcome :)

Back