Audio for Motorcycle Racing

So here is the deal. I an going to shot a Doc on the Motocross des Nations. It is the most prestigious off road race in the world. I am going to have full access to Team Canada. I want to mike the riders during practice/race. I can put a Lav in their helmet. I need either a small recorder or a wireless system that has a half mile range +-.
Any suggestions?
Thanks.

So here is the deal. I an going to shot a Doc on the Motocross des Nations. It is the most prestigious off road race in the world. I am going to have full access to Team Canada. I want to mike the riders during practice/race. I can put a Lav in their helmet. I need either a small recorder or a wireless system that has a half mile range +-.
Any suggestions?
Thanks.

sound design it.

im not sure there is a lav with a half mile range but who knows? if there is, im sure it isnt cheap. how about a portable recording device? there are alot of affordable ones on the market with stereo condensors built right in but you want to be sure to check their maximum spl. sync may be a problem if you dont do a clap sync but i dont think that anyone will notice a small delay.

If you have access to the team I would take a day or 2 and go to a garage and have one of the bikes they race placed on one of those testing rigs which let it drive without going anywhere.

Then have them rev it, get good static engine revs, get every single possible acceleration combination you can think of. Then take them out to a secluded highway (deserts are best) and record it out there. Or even on the track while they practice, set up mics and get them going by the mic. Sit on the motorcycle with the guy and record it (I'm serious - I'd do it).

Record it separately and edit it to picture. That's the only way to get authentic-sounding motorcycles.

Micing the riders you may have to record their radio communication like a phone - get a hybrid and record it separately. I wouldn't try to mic them with a wireless lav. Get their radio instead. Sounds cooler, too.

As much as I love the idea of capturing the sound of the bikes in a garage or staging area it's not strictly documentary. I would do it, however; you cannot ever have enough audio fodder. The problem is that it's going to be difficult to match to picture, unless you create a complete cue list and record them after the race.

I wouldn't want to depend upon "long distance" wireless systems; the odds on having drop-outs is just too high. You could use a boundary mic and wire it directly to a digital audio recorder. You would have to experiment with wind protection and to see if a dynamic or cardioid is the better choice; my bet would be on the dynamics - they can handle very high SPL levels, and are usually more robustly built. The biggest "problem" would be to find a place to put the mic (probably on the back fender) and the recorder (beats the hell out of me!) and securing them firmly without interfering with the rider or the operation of the bike. You absolutely should tap into the comms as suggested; hearing the rider and his team communicate would definitely bring the audience into the action at a much more personal level. I would also have mics and recorders at various positions around the course if you have the budget.

When working on "Johnny Montana" I spent a day doing pass-bys, starts, stops, etc. and two more days riding double on a Harley with various mic combinations. Rather exciting at 100 mph.....

Last edited:
Ok. Do it documentary style.

Good luck running 100 mph after a bike with a shotgun mic.

I just don't see how you're going to get any good audio while the guys are racing unless you hire the broadcast teams from the Olympics to do your sound for you.

Plus, who defined documentary audio?

Did you know all of the Blue Planet series is after-the-fact sound effects?

And those penguins didn't make that much sound while they were marching...

Michael Moore films...

I don't get why there is a rule to have "authentic" sound for something like this.

Maybe you could tape a lapel onto the motorcycle and place the recorder in a backpack if they'd allow it...

Last edited:
Now I have an idea where to start. I am not worried about the bikes. I want the sounds that the Riders make. i want people to hear how hard they work. If I have only learned one thing on this Forum ( I must be dumb), video...easy,audio...hard.

Back