• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch SCREAMIN' DEMON - horror 6min.

Great job on the makeup!

Well, thankyou! It was ........ flour and fake blood. I also had some finger extensions, teeth and a wig. I was taking some rap on another thread for touting the flour and blood mix, until I posted pics with the results. :lol:

I did the demon eyes in After Effects, which is demonstrated in the first video link of THIS article. You might have to sign on to Facebook to be able to view it.

I liked that! I wasn't expecting the demon voice to be high.

Just a sidebar comment: Only on tv/in movies do people take it upon themselves to just walk into someones home if they don't answer the door. Incredible!

Good Job!

-- spinner :cool:

I liked the make up, shot movement and choices, and the editing, but most of all I’m kind of floored by the (Granted subtle and dialed back, yet still present) display of story telling prowess (for screen) in both of them.

I like the scope of back story in The Contingency Plan because it’s a slick hooky set-up, but in Screamin’ Demon there is cool little rocky point, then Shelia seems to smooth it out and hit a stride that lifts the landing gear right off the ground.

(Obviously it’s edited together but..) In that moment I think things gel and.. I don’t know, but I want to say maybe we kind of witness you guys leave the building and the two characters take your place?

I can’t tell if you guys aren’t really acting, or if you’re making the lines up, or if the lines are just that dialed in on paper, or if there is a natural chemistry at work mixed with gifted ad lib , or a comfort zone from being at home or what, but when it clicks I sense the right info, emphasis and amount of words creating a melody over the rhythm of shots.

Without the technical knowledge or terms at my command I can’t say what it is that’s doing here, so I rely on what I sense and feel (And maybe it’s as simple as the synthesis of story, acting, shots and editing at work -I don’t know), but I do recognize whatever is cooking is important, because it’s allowing so much to be done with the right amount of so little, and it’s cool.

-Thanks-

Buddy, you can be really profound. I really appreciate your insight into the workings of these stories.

I can’t tell if you guys aren’t really acting, or if you’re making the lines up, or if the lines are just that dialed in on paper, or if there is a natural chemistry at work mixed with gifted ad lib , or a comfort zone from being at home or what, but when it clicks I sense the right info, emphasis and amount of words creating a melody over the rhythm of shots.

We are acting and I'm very lucky that Sheila is just a natural. In her case, she has a knack for knowing what feels right and what doesn't. (It also says so in her astrological chart.) She had never studied acting or the arts, though she was a successful chef, who liked watching movies. When we got married (in 98'), I asked her to act in ETERNAL and ROADKILL and was really amazed by what I was seeing out of a first timer!

SCREAMIN' DEMON was written out. As for CONTINGENCY PLAN, it's funny that the story comes off so well, since I wrote it around the strafing and dummy shots, as seen in the other thread, from IndieMeet. I knew how it ended - she blows up, but now I had to come up with some back story. I told Sheila about the "short term memory" and "bomb in the head" bits, then we just worked the details out. Nothing was written down and it was put together, quickly. We did talk it out and rehearsed the opening scenario. When I do come up with a story, I like to come back to previous references, like "Dr. Hindlick." With that kind of gruesome finale, I thought it would be funny to have him call. :lol:

If you haven't seen it, check out THREE STRIPE. Sheila got "Best Acting," from that year's 48 Hour Film project.

Mildly amusing is A BIT OF A FALLING OUT. I prefer the action of the other flicks, but it might be worth a look.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing. I liked both.

Good action and genre elements in Three Stripe
And Fall Out is pretty funny. lol

It would be interesting to see you guys do an action adventure comedy.

I really like that in your stuff the shots, music and story hit the ground running. A lot of shorts I see seem to forego establishing a “tone” in favor of maybe showcasing the latest camera they used, then go on to deliver something of all form and no substance.

-Thanks-

Thanks for sharing. I liked both.

Good action and genre elements in Three Stripe
And Fall Out is pretty funny. lol

It would be interesting to see you guys do an action adventure comedy.

You mean like a feature? Definitely. I've been meaning to get back to comedy. You saw ROADKILL, right? Lots of action, starting with the husband being chased down. The fire, squibs, etc. were all real. Though it is not obvious slapstick, it is full of dark comedy - the goofy boyfriend, the pugnacious wife, the husband who just finished anger therapy! I meant for it to be a live action "Roadrunner & Coyote," but with real people. :lol: Nothing more exaggerated than her smacking that pole, after being run over and burned!

n603930493_5885129_2199.jpg

"Do you remember one of the reasons you said you married me? Something about my tenacity?"

That was a lot of fun. I think you got a lot of the aspects of production right...but it's lacking too much to allow it to be what it could have been.

The lighting is flat...that is something you guys can work on. Don't be afraid to use gels of different color. Layer things. Make key things pop. I noticed you had a few scenes that looked great...like his studio space.

The audio was *way* too low. I don't know what was going on....but it was cranked up and I couldn't hear much.

The concept was cool...but I think the writing was weak. I liked it up until the door slide open so obviously, and he was like 'Who's there? Come on, stop playing around...' Or whatever he said...it was too corny...forced and unrealistic. *not that the entire thing was badly written...I just thought some aspects were particularly over-looked*

I liked a lot of it...it just had too much 'home made movie' written all over it. With a little more production value, this could have been awesome. You can see you're trying to hit a lot of the marks you should be...just keep at it.

This was just from seeing Demon...I'll watch the other linked vids now.

Last edited:
I posted this new edit LINK of the movie to the original post (above). Thanks to Jeff (Flicker Pictures) for letting me know that this thread (and forum) crashed. Unfortunately, it lost about 6 replies... The only email copy I have is this one:

I really liked it. The beginning made me laugh because of the off-hand introduction of the demon- "actually, I wanted to talk about the demon killings.." and then the demon itself at the end terrified me because I really wasn't set up for something that gruesome and sudden after the pace and mood of the rest of the film.

I just feel like something should maybe be done about the sound, it felt a little narrow and 'home-videoey' as I think someone mentioned earlier.

Agree about the sound. I will work it a little more before putting this on a DVD.

If anyone wants to repost a "lost" comment, please do. Usually there is an email copy, but most of mine were deleted. I remember that Kinglis posted and someone else asked me about the music cues....

Last edited:
Great stuff! I love the pacing and the way you use the music to build on the action and of course the editing. Your demon looked great and to think i just spent $200 on makeup for my zombies. lol.

I like the way you cross promote your other films in this thread. I watched two other movies of yours and noticed that you even promoted your movie "The Black Crystal" in the Contingency Plan. All great marketing! brovo.

Love Sheila's delivery "Tim... invest in a studio."

One minute gone that I didn't notice, so I think that's a good sign? The lighting on the demon at the end is slick and I liked how your face was half lit. :)

If anyone wants to repost a "lost" comment, please do. Usually there is an email copy, but most of mine were deleted. I remember that Kinglis posted and someone else asked me about the music cues....

So many of my comments were deleted by the "server"... The "server" loves me :lol:

Yeah, we were discussing the ending...

Hey great make up.

Thanks!

Your demon looked great and to think i just spent $200 on makeup for my zombies. lol.

This short was made for free only because I had leftover stuff from an old (1997?) Halloween costume. I recycle material as often as possible. :lol: The flour/fake blood mix makes for some nice, cheap goo!

I like the way you cross promote your other films in this thread. I watched two other movies of yours and noticed that you even promoted your movie "The Black Crystal" in the Contingency Plan. All great marketing! brovo.

Yeah, I'm a whore. Part of that was that I made both of those movies (DEMON & CONTINGENCY) within days of each other - and they were thrown together really fast! Also, you should spend more time marketing than making, otherwise, the production is for nothing if nobody sees it. Buddy really got me going. There's nothing as satisfying as having someone interested about the process.

One minute gone that I didn't notice, so I think that's a good sign? The lighting on the demon at the end is slick and I liked how your face was half lit. :)

I can't believe how much the original 6 minute cut dragged. I was stretching out the suspense, when it really needed to just unfold quickly. I also lost some shots of me taking a break - reaching in the fridge, eating a banana - those don't contribute to the story. Sometimes we fall in love with shots that shouldn't be there in the first place.

Love Sheila's delivery "Tim... invest in a studio."

That really is my work studio, out in the garage. After PARANORMAL ACTIVITY scared me, I started thinking about what if a demon was out there in those winding outer walls? :lol: Serious - that was the inspiration! I know, I know - no one else here got scared by that.... :lol: Now, my kids sneak out there late at night and scare me on purpose.

So many of my comments were deleted by the "server"... The "server" loves me :lol:

We might have to make a movie about your karma!

Back