• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch My first music video

I make corporate training videos 9-5... so I really jumped outside the box by tackling a rap video.

Anyway, The song was a nice, simple, catchy dance song and I studied this genre of music video and tried to "stick with the formula" while adding my own bit of creativity (maybe you can tell I am a fan of Weezer's/Marcos Siega's Dope Nose video).

Just wanted to get one done and then hopefully flex some more artistic muscle on possible future opportunities.

The artist and his management are happy with the product and this may already lead to a paid gig in the same genre.

Just curious of perspectives of people not in the rap/hip hop community but filmmaking community. I know we create for our customer and their audience but still want to share with others.

Hey... if you watch - Thanks!

Take care, all - BJ!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YoJPrwZ8dfo&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YoJPrwZ8dfo&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Good first attempt.

The cuts seemed a little slow for todays music videos(not that im saying theyre better) . felt a little 90's to me. were you going for that?

Keep working to get better and better in your new genre.

Actually - I "slowed" down the pace a bit - it was getting too frantic at moments for my personal taste. Perhaps growing up watching videos during my formative years in the 90s there is an unconscious influence. I must say - the pace of the editing was my hardest challenge in post production. A rap video is different than the corporate vids I am making 9-5... I am a novice to editing at this pace. What I thought was too fast wasn't fast enough lol. Wouldn't mind other thoughts on the lenghth of cuts?

I appreciate the feedback and your time watching the video. Thanks sooo much! I really value the input!

I can see that 90's thing, but I don't think it's the end of the world or anything. The video is still really solid stuff. Definitely good for a first-timer.

hey man,

nice stuff! I enjoyed this! i like how you bring in the letters and such, really cool!
I just posted my newest music video in a new thread if you want to take a look. Its also a rap video so you might like it :)

This is edited very nicely. As far as pacing is concerned, actually, I think you nailed it (with maybe one or two minor exceptions.). And, I think you tackled the genre appropriately.

In my opinion, though, this genre needs to be broken up. Dudes and girls on streets, rapping to a moving camera, with rapid cuts, interspersed by dancing chicks, I think we've seen enough of that. And, what was up with that white girl who couldn't really dance? Weirded me out.

Lastly, and I apologize in advance for drawing this parallel, but I have a difficult time watching people on a white screen with text, without thinking that I need to let the music take control, let the rhythm move me, and sweat. Baby.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xl_F74xBvkk

Last edited:
I liked it, I think it was an amazing first music video!

That being said their music is not very good, and it was really just like every other mainstream music video out there today. I know you did this for your customer and thats the most important part. I just personally think that fast cuts dancing chicks (IMO aren't even cute) guys trying to dance, and people standing there being "hard" is a bit overdone. I'm just waiting to be impressed by something crazy off the wall and great.

Back