DSLR Cameras

I'm shooting a film in the autumn and I'm using a DSLR cam, I have around 700 maybe 800, but I would want the body and lens. So is there any good DSLR cams that have stood out for people. I'm thinking of the Canon T2i but I'm not sure if it has a external mic jack.

Any help please

Ya...the T2i...however, the camera alone is $800...if you want another lens, you're going to spend around $1000 to $1500 for the entire package.

And like Sonny said, get audio from an external device.

The T2i is a good way to go, but I think the budget is slightly too low.
I am also going to buy a DSLR and I am realising, how expensive it really is. To shoot efficient, you need several lenses ( always think about the crop factor 1,6 ), and maybe some other gear, like a follow focus, shoulder support, a monitor and so on.
If there is a possibility, although I also could understand it, if you rather like to own your stuff, you can rent the equipment for the shooting and may have better results.

As everyone else has said, in that price range T2i is your only option. And, as others have mentioned, it is typical to spend MUCH more on lenses and accessories (like follow focus).

I'm in your boat, brother. At the time being, I can't afford any lenses. Nevertheless, I feel the T2i, with it's factory-packaged 18-55mm lense is still a better option than any conventional video camera you could buy with that amount of money. And, later on, when you've got more money, you can buy those lenses and fancy accessories.

There is an alternative to the super-expensive follow-focus. It can be jerryrigged with about $10 of equipment from your local hardware store. Of course it won't be the same, but you work with what you've got.

As for sound, you MIGHT want to record through the camera's external mic jack, but probably not. If you go straight to it, you're going to get lots of noise. There are XLR-to-mini adapters that will lessen this noise, but they're actually more expensive than a portable digital audio recorder, and with one of those, your camera is freed from that pesky mic cable. I can post links if you want; right now I'm just too tired and lazy to find those links.

There is an alternative to the super-expensive follow-focus. It can be jerryrigged with about $10 of equipment from your local hardware store. Of course it won't be the same, but you work with what you've got.

Very true. That's my plan for when I purchase my camera. Professional rigs are just too expensive sometimes. :P

The T2i is definitely your only option here. One thing, though, is that I've heard the effects of "rolling shutter" seem to be worse on the T2i than the higher -up models (7d and 5d mark 2), although videos of it in action seem pretty much the same to me. But you'll definitely want to find a decent cheap (or self-made) stabilizing rig to minimize the effects of rolling shutter. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

One thing, though, is that I've heard the effects of "rolling shutter" seem to be worse on the T2i than the higher -up models (7d and 5d mark 2), although videos of it in action seem pretty much the same to me.

I've heard the same thing. So I'm gonna tell all my actors to just move really slowly.;)

No, you're right to point that out -- this camera might not be the best choice to shoot an action movie. Personally, I'll be keeping it on a tripod, with occasional dollying, but nothing rapid enough to worry about that jello.

thanks everyone when I said i had 700 maybe 800 i meant in great british pounds, and i am aware of the rolling shutter, i shot a advert for my friends shop and noticed it straight away, but im not too much of a expert when it comes to audio, i was going to buy the rode mic attachment to use with my t2i, but if i was to record from an external device, how do i do it and whats my cheapest option

You can get a 550D and kit lens on Amazon UK for £695 (somehow cheaper than body only) and the Zoom H4n is about £280, so possibly a bit out of budget when you consider you'll also need a mic (or two, as I'm sure Alcove Audio will insist), boom pole, shock mount and cables etc.

Back