Sound?

Hey,

I'm in the middle of putting together a cheap rig that will let me shoot film with as minimal limitations as possible. I've recently purchased a pre-owned Sony HDR-CX100 for about $270USD, but the CX100 does not have a microphone input on offer, so already my filming would be hindered with only first-person sound available.. So, I'm looking to purchase a cheap sound setup. A recording device and a low-cost microphone or two? I am totally new to this. I don't have the bank of knowledge that this forum collectively possesses.

Help me out. What are my options?

Cheers

Zoom H4n (Digital Audio Recorder)

Rode NTG-2 (Shotgun Mic) (Outdoors)

Audio Technica AT4053b or Oktava MK-012 (Cardioid Condensor Mic) (Indoors)

Boom Pole, Shock Mount, Cables, Slate

Someone to do the sound

Read my blog here on IndieTalk.

Hey Alcove Audio , I am curious , isnt a Juicdlink solution better than Zoom...it sez so here
http://vimeo.com/5370880
scroll down for other videos in the series. I am a video/visual guy , sound is a mystery to me.

I am still reading your blogs now...awesome info. there , thanks a lot...

Hey Alcove Audio , I am curious , isn't a juicedLink solution better than Zoom?

The juicedLink and BeachTech mixers are meant for connecting mics to cameras with 1/8" audio inputs. However, you are still using the internal audio processing of the camera. The newer DSLR cameras - and many of the other recent cameras - have seriously substandard audio implementation, and sometimes no audio inputs at all. The audio implementation on some cameras is so poor, in fact, that using a juicedLink/BeachTech mixer will not produce the kind of results most filmmakers are looking for.

Digital recorders like the Zoom (which is at the bottom of the production sound recorder food chain) lets users record uncompressed .wav, .bwav or .aif audio at standard (16bit/48kHz) or higher bit/sample rates. Some argue that 16/48 is fine, but as an audio post professional I prefer the higher bit/sample rates (24/96) as 24bits gives more audio headroom and at 96kHz there are usually fewer digital artifacts when extensive processing is needed in audio post.

Another benny is that the boom-op is not tethered to the camera.

A bit out of my price range..

Hey, that's the best I can do if you want decent sound. You can go with a Radio Shack mic and an iPod, but the sound won't be much better than what you will get with the cameras on-board mic. And you'll still need a boom-pole and shock mount; if you're handy you can DIY those for about $50.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=
A bit out of my price range..

Dude Alcove is giving you the cheapest good sounding stuff you can buy. If I were you I would bring in a sound guy (a real one who owns gear) and hopefully they will dig your project and work within your budget. otherwise Alcove has the cheapest route if you are going to buy gear.
Good Luck

I can get a Zoom H4 Handy Recorder for about $160USD. It's only been used for about 5 hours in total. Should I grab this while I can? I can't find a Zoom H4n for any less than $480USD in New Zealand, or I would have to fork out $300USD and then $30USD+ shipping.

Thoughts?

As my grandpa would have said, "It's better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick."

Sure, snap it up. As noisy as the preamps are it is infinitely better than the cameras onboard mic/sound implementation. You still need a mic, however.

Alcove, you're my man. Thank you for educating me. Don't worry, I'm looking. Hopefully I'll find something soon. I'm eyeing up a shotgun and I'll just make myself a nice boom stick.

Ta.

Back