What Do Producers Want In Editing?

I am saving up for a new computer, and editing system. Is it true that Avid and Final Cut are the only industry standards? That is what I hear all the time. Does that mean I cannot edit in programs such as Sony Vegas if I plan on having this film being distributed in the industry? Am I stuck with Avid and Final Cut?

Thanks.

Last edited:
In one regard that is true; the industry only edits in AVID and FINAL CUT PRO....But they don't care what you edited YOUR film in. That only matters if you're being hired to edit THEIR movies.

If I am understanding correctly;

For the end product - a film to be distributed - what
software you use won't come into play. No one will
even ask. If you have an excellent movie that is good
enough to be distributed, what you used to edit won't
matter to any one.

The reason you hear that Avid and Final Cut are the
"industry standard" is because when a producer is hiring
an editor they will be looking for a person who is familiar
with one or both of those systems. This is ONLY for an
editor looking for a job as an editor. What you use to
edit your movie is irrelevant if you plan on having the
film distributed.

Okay. For some reason, I had the impression that if my film does get distributed, they would ask for project files, etc, for different cuts? And that they would only accept either Final Cut Pro or Avid.

I guess I'm wrong?

If you are planning on freelance editing, you will be expected to have a couple things. A separate client monitor probably around 27", a decent set of speakers, ability to switch between 16:9 and 4:3, and you will probably have to have your edit suite in a separate room in your house dedicated to just being the edit suite. Unless your renting out an office space somewhere.

You want to "speak the language", and the language is either FCP or Avid.
You are entering a tough tough field though: Buy a bunch of expensive equipment, then work for peanuts for producers who are losing money hand over fist. I think McDonald's employees make more $$. There's a hundred zillion editors in this town too. It's a kushy job that everyone wants to do. Affordable high end technology has fragmented the whole indie everything business. Your goal would be to work for a high end studio. Stiff competition though.

I think he does not want to be a professional editor he is just asking how Distributors would want him to deliver his film. Would they want the session files that he edited or just the dvd of the final film. If they want the session files does that mean he has to use Avid or Final cut to make them happy or can he just use Sony Vegas or some of the edit software. If his goal is to shop his own films and not work for a client producer that is.

Back