action movie camera advise

Hey guys, I'm shooting an action movie that I plan to release on DVD and BluRay and need camera advice.

I'm currently looking at using 3 cameras. 2x JVC HM100 and 1x Sony PMW-EX1 and am wanting to shoot 24p.

I will be shooting the action scenes on the JVCs and the other scenes on the Sony. I have planned this as opposed to shooting the entire movie on just an EX1 because of the CMOS, which makes it unusable for what I have planned with the action. Also the size of the JVCs is a definite advantage for shooting the action.

The EX1 would be used with the other scenes because I've heard that the HM100 doesn't work anywhere near as good in low light.

So essentially I've got 3 cameras (2x JVC 1x SONY) to shoot the one movie. This setup is going to cost around $15,000 Australian.

But my question is, is it really worth spending the money and shooting on these cameras?

For example I could buy two Canon XHA1 or Panasonic HMC150 shoot the movie on those, it's a lot less than the $15,000 with the other setup. Would I be better shooting with the cheaper cameras and putting the rest of the money into other aspects of the production?

In my opinion; overkill. But if you have the money, then it’s a
fine set up. I’ve owned the JVC and I have used the EX1. I’ve
never shot with either in “low light” because I light all my
scenes, even the dark, night scenes.

I have shot action movies. I use one camera (the JVC) and use the
money I saved not buying two more cameras for lighting and sound.

I’ve used both the XHA1 and the Panasonic HMC150. Not a fan of the
Canon at all, but I liked the Panasonic. So it really comes down
to your, personal choice. All four cameras you mention are fine
cameras and all four will be able to shoot an action movie. You
won’t make a wrong choice in either of the scenarios you pose. And
you know your actual requirements much better than I do. I would
never budget for three cameras.

Thanks for your reply mate.

What were your reasons for not liking the Canon?

I'm really leaning towards the 2 JVC's for their small size which is good for car mounts and stuff, but they are expensive and it may be difficult to do a whole movie with just them, hence the EX1.

I'm really leaning towards the 2 JVC's for their small size which is good for car mounts and stuff, but they are expensive and it may be difficult to do a whole movie with just them, hence the EX1.
Sometimes facing difficulties is what we filmmakers
must do. I've shot three action movies with one JVC.

But you have money I only dream of. So if buying the
three cameras will make things less difficult for you, then
that's what you should do.

I'd say you should go cheaper with the cameras (or rent) and spend money on lighting so you don't have to worry about "low light"

You are capturing images that are made visible because of light afterall, why anyone wants to leave the most important element of a film frame out of the equation is beyond me...

I'm almost sure your over looking a 3 camera shoot. Using multiple cameras means, more light, bigger set up times, more time for coordination, etc.

You cant set a shot up for one camera and stick 2 more cameras in, you need to light for them as well, and make sure their settings all match.

If there are reasons you want to use multiple cameras (ie explotions, destruction of props, etc) then i'd suggest only 2 cameras and hiring a great DP and Gaffer.

Back