• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Austin Director Jett Garner’s Short Film “Kung Pao Tofu – Dragon Style” Packs Spicy P

kungpao3-450x298.jpg

In a typical ShortFilmTexas filmmaker interview we would go into much more detail with the filmmaker on how he or she made the film. In this particular case, as regular members of the SFT community will recognize, the director of this film, Jett Garner, also hosts his own web series called “Jettisodes.” The answers to the questions below will be greatly expanded upon in the next Jettisode which will play the following week. Stay tuned.

And on a personal note, Jett’s short film also represents the 100th short film to run on ShortFilmTexas.com. This is huge and to have Jett’s film mark this special occasion couldn’t be more fitting. Thanks to all the filmmakers who continue to support Texas film and tune in regularly to SFT. Here’s to 100 more!

Film Title: Kung Pao Tofu – Dragon Style
Writer / Director: Jett Garner
Director of Cinematography: Ben Columbus
Cast: Amanda Brown, Michael Rains, Ace Feeman

SHORTFILMTEXAS (SFT): What is the film about?
JETT GARNER (JG): I don’t want to say too much here. Basically, we spend an evening with a couple celebrating an anniversary.

SFT: There is a real natural flow to the acting. Did you stick to a script or was it move improv?
JG: I had an outline of the story/film. However, we did improvise the dialogue one hundred percent. Important note- Improv will work as long as you have actors that can naturally manifest within the story/plot.

SFT: What did you shoot on? Edit on? (Likes/Dislikes)
JG: We utilized the Panasonic 24p camera. It was the very same camera Jay Duplass used to make ‘The Puffy Chair’, and John Bryant used in several of his short films. I do not have a list of pros and cons as I am not technically astute to cameras and lenses. I cut the film on Apple I-movies. It is a simple yet powerful software that has served well cutting very basic and simple films.

CLICK HERE TO WATCH THE SHORT FILM!!

- @:45 the pan blends in with the stove, needs better lighting or better props (or both).

- Her talking to someone on the phone (or leaving message) @ 1:00 and quickly at next scene someone enters the door was too quick. Also, shot of phone into the next scene was set up horrible.

- Framing of scene where he brings in flowers was fair at best. Also, flowers looked more red then orange on my computer screen.

- Lighting is flat and boring at the table scene (and mainly through out the film).

- The water she had magically filled up by 3:52.

- Sound is fair at best and at times you can hear the cuts in the dialogue. Ambient sound might have help with this or rerecord the dialogue at a later time. No ambient sounds which was boring and gave no atmosphere.

- When she asked him the question, "Would you do that for me?", by sticking a pill up her ass, wouldn't he say yes? I know I would have and I could think of a..............AAWWWW forget it. In general you had a lost opportunity for A. extra jokes or B. what most men would do with a hot chick like that if she asked that question.

- What she is eating looks nothing like she is making.

- She didn't check very hard for a pulse and showed no emotion.

Ended watching because I had to go home, not a good sign if I liked the story.

Last edited:
Back