• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Recording an Epic Soundscape way before shooting. Possible?

I've been turning over some ideas for a short the last couple of days. The action mainly
takes place in an old warehouse. Psychological, borderline supernatural chiller with a happy ending.
Sound: lots of clanking, clunking, water, rain, wind, screams. I'm helped that the dialogue
is mostly a cacophony of telepathy and noise, so actors wouldn't have to move their mouths.
No sync issues for the majority of the shoot.

My plan was not to even pick up a camera until I sat down at my leisure with a decent Mac
and concocted an epic soundscape. I figure then I've got no money or time pressure. I'd try and
make the thing work as a radio play.

I'd recruit actors based on their voices only, which meant I could audition worldwide through the net.
For 80 per cent of the dialogue, the faces of the speakers won't be visible, or if they are, their
mouths won't move.

1st layer: Lots of Clanking, Wind, Rain.
2nd layer: Screams of an actor (don't worry it aint too grizzly)
3rd layer: Cacophony of telepathic voices (vaguely reminiscent of the white coated doctors in 12 Monkeys)
4th layer: Guide tracks for any synced dialogue (could be reshot later as it's minimal and easy to shoot)
5th layer: More sounds. Foley etc.
6th layer: Music.

I know there would be some issues, and I'd have to move things around in post, but I think doing
things like this might help financially and artistically. Re: Foley, of course I wouldn't have everything synced, but I could at least have an idea what I wanted.

- Does anyone else work like this?
- Any issues I might have to think through?
- Are there any famous films that have used the face of one actor with the dubbed voice of another

The Big Question:

Scene: The protagonist is strapped to a table being psychically tortured by 6 people in white coats.

Theoretically,I could have each of the six actors in a different locations, and record each part at my leisure. I could, for example, book a live ISDN sessions at a studio. Focusing on the technical aspect only, how would I make sure that there was audio continuity between separate sessions recorded at different times? Would I have to specify certain equipment, or make sure other technical aspects such as gain were aligned?

I'm not sure if that could be done. If not, I could quite easily record the white coats parts as a standard radio play.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
Neat idea, go for it. The "lab workers" could be wearing complete HASMAT looking suites, or surplus gas masks, that way you could even do typical dialog and coverage shoots, but we'd never see the mouths..

Stuff like the sounds your talking about can be readily pulled from freesound.org great source by the way..

Id have the vocal actors perform in front of a camera. With good sound of course. This will give facial queues, and be a good reference for the "visual" actors.

Some of your approach is just like all the big Hollywood animation films. Dialog is recorded first, then animation is made to match. So giving the vocal actors some sense of place and mood with at least an atmosphere track would seem good, though Im not sure Id go so far as to have "impact" sounds.. where someone has to respond to a sound.. "hey, what was that!" kinda thing, That would probably just cause actors to get too worried about perfect "timing" rather than a great performance..

I have a decent sound set up, and would love to audition.. let me know..

(idea, could be even stranger if one of the characters was just a MONITOR and a SPEAKER...Like "Charlie" only bad ass!)

Neat idea, go for it. The "lab workers" could be wearing complete HASMAT looking suites, or surplus gas masks, that way you could even do typical dialog and coverage shoots, but we'd never see the mouths..

Damn, good idea. So it wouldn't have to be telepathic dialogue. In any scene, if the main character was in a city just wearing a pollution mask that would help a lot.

Stuff like the sounds your talking about can be readily pulled from freesound.org great source by the way..

I've been looking for a decent sound source site for a while.

Some of your approach is just like all the big Hollywood animation films. Dialog is recorded first, then animation is made to match.

I guessed other people would be doing it too.

though Im not sure Id go so far as to have "impact" sounds.. where someone has to respond to a sound.. "hey, what was that!" kinda thing, That would probably just cause actors to get too worried about perfect "timing" rather than a great performance..

No issue at all. Stuff can be moved about in post. Moving clank.wav or machinecrash.wav a few seconds forward or back would take no time. In the studio, a well made atmosphere track might even help, they could have it on cans and really hear the crashes and bangs. Might help them get into it.

I have a decent sound set up, and would love to audition.. let me know..

Sure... This is a side project while I get my documentary together. I was going to do it very slowly over the next few months. I'll focus more when I have the script done. I've got a lot of ideas but I also write with a low-budget producers eye, so I don't undertake any projects I can't do for cheap.

idea, could be even stranger if one of the characters was just a MONITOR and a SPEAKER

I'm still at the idea stage so anything you can through into the mix is welcome. The main idea
is to drag the main guy through the s**t in a warehouse. When it came to shooting I wouldn't need tons of locations, just one big shoot in one place. This would allow me to focus all of my (limited) money and time onto one epic set.

You might also want to read Kafka's short story, In the Penal Colony, for a vague atmosphere reference.

Don't see why you couldn't work this way, though I and most people do the exact opposite. I have a concept for the soundscape, but don't even think about assembling much of it until the video is locked. That way I don't record sounds (or dialogue) that wind up cut from the film.

Here's a rough sound list I drew up if anyone's interested. It'll take me months or years to get this thing together cos I've got my hands full with other projects.

Machine Sounds:

Lots of clanks and thuds of metallic machinery.
Sounds of electrical cables
Sounds of metal scraping metal
Sounds of whirring machines, fast/high pitched and slow.
Heavy Clunking Chains pulled through machines.
Winches Up and Down.
Rats. Squesking and pattering
Wind
Rain
Powerful Hose
Floodlights Flashing On

Human Sounds:

Bloodcurdling screams
Sound of actor being thrust into water
Underwater Screams
Footsteps on the concrete floor of a warehouse

Music:

Tibetan Chant and Choir (mix it together for a ritual)

Sonic Locations:

1. General Warehouse
2. Torture Bed
3. Angels Room
4. Normal Daily Life
5. Ritual

Rough Order To Do Things:

1. Collect a bunch of Decent Sounds and get to know them
2. Make general soundscapes of each location
3. Get together a scene/shot list
4. Record dialogue tracks (maybe with local actors for the first version)
4b) Upgrade dialogue tracks with better actors if necessary
5. Get music
6. Sync scenes in order
7. Mix in audio and music.

Back