• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Im Blue (goofing with the kids last night)

Hi all,
I was playing around with my kids last night, here is the result: (this is for you Tinalera!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/n8y1bW8KaLQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/n8y1bW8KaLQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

This is a "test" of my Letus Extreme, canon HFS100 and my new 50mm 1.4 lens. No color correction or other effects (other than the double exposure)

Interesting point: Though the lens is a f1.4, I stopped it down to f4. This gave me MORE DOF, so focus wasn't RAZOR thin. It was still hard..

Last edited:
A little dark, but looks good. The rich color kind of reminds me of color neg film.
(I like that you hung the picture over the insulation. lol)

-Thanks-

It needs some lens flares and strobe lights :P lol

Nah, that was really fun :) Cute kids. Who's the father?

Nice job keeping the dancing and the cuts in rhythm, that's something I'm really bad at :( I have no rhythm, as anyone who's seen me dance can attest to.

Isn't it so much fun making your home movies into something your kids will want to see when they are older?

A little dark, but looks good. The rich color kind of reminds me of color neg film.
(I like that you hung the picture over the insulation. lol)

-Thanks-

Yeah, dark, but the detail was there, I have since added a bit of exposure in post and its looks good.

The painting, the white card, and the plastic dogwood tree are part of a "background" for some video "birth day wishes" that were doing as part of my daughters 16th birthday party.

Thanks

Yeah no problem on the detail.

I personally like a darker look (like that) in video.
Kind of like a richer deeper oil paint look as opposed washed out water color feel.

-Thanks-

It needs some lens flares and strobe lights :P lol

Nah, that was really fun :) Cute kids. Who's the father?

Nice job keeping the dancing and the cuts in rhythm, that's something I'm really bad at :( I have no rhythm, as anyone who's seen me dance can attest to.

Isn't it so much fun making your home movies into something your kids will want to see when they are older?

The cuts to the beat was easier than I would have thought.

I played the song while the Jamie danced, filmed that, with sound..
I played the song while Paul danced, filmed that, with sound..
Imported the two video tracks and the mp3 song into Premiere.

Lined up all the video\audio based on the the first big beat (using the visual wave forms... you can hear all three audio tracks in the begging.. with the laughing etc..

I cut "unlinked" the audio from the video (in the video takes only) cut the takes at the break to black, and deleted the rest of the audio from those tracks.

From there I just sorta randomly used the mp3 track wave form as markers for cut points on "top" video track, with a big beat sound its pretty visual thing.. then just started deleting every other clip from the top video track..

So the party was a success.. I started doing post work on the "interviews" its a lot of fun.. I know, basically its another wheatgrinder home movie dressed up, but hey, its GREAT practice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="1280" height="745"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OcKAiZ73PiI&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6&hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OcKAiZ73PiI&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x006699&color2=0x54abd6&hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="1280" height="745"></embed></object>

Plus you can spot the takes where somebody turned of the background light (and other light issues.. )

:blush:

Geez, this was dedicated to me and I only now get to it!

Those are some awesome masks, and it looks like the kids had a lot of fun doing it (the laughter and the music together took a bit of getting used to, but it worked :)

I agree with Dready, this is the sort of thing kids won't mind seeing when they are older a lot of fun for them.

BTW, how did you know that I liked the song "Blue"(or was that merely an insipired guess)?

I'm ALMOST tempted to show a video I did with my kids-set to "Dani California" as well as other footage-probably my first "video" don't know how I'd upload it to show it without getting into copyright stuff. Or should I just upload it, let people watch it, then take it off?

Good stuff Wheat, some good work there :)! I also want to take the time to explain to Wheat and everyone that I've been really busy lately, it's why I haven't been on as much-I do miss conversing with all of you! I'm finishing up Face Value and a couple things-just wanted you all to know you haven't been forgotten! :) Hopefully I'll get a "breather" soon-there are a few videos I've been wanting to watch on here :)

Last edited:
The kids picked the song.. so It was pure randomness..

Nah, admit it, you were doing some mind melding stuff, or maybe your kids were :lol:;)

Out of curiosity, did you "discover" anything while doing it? I mean, little discoveries of film making/editing you discovered for yourself (like I years ago discovered how to make someone "disappear", completely by accident).

You're a lucky man Wheat-you've got great kids and film making talent!

I discovered that hand held CAN be done with a 35mm adapter. As bad as it was, I did have some "moments" of good focus!

As the mass of the camera \ rig increases, the hand held footage looks smoother..

There is NEVER enough light in doors!

The inverse square law applies to film lighting too!

Dark video, so long as its not black is better than blown out video. In post I was able to up the lightness of this quite a bit and it looked much better, in fact it looked "good."

Having a speck of dust on the 35mm adapters focusing screen can be helpful! It is easier to focus on a speck of dust, than the "grain" of the screen..

That its important to get something out the same day when working with home video. I have other potential home vid edits that I put off, and now will likely never get to..

About the copyright music. You-tube has some pretty sophisticated stuff with this. After I uploaded the video, there was this message of copyright use, and that because I was using the song, ads would be inserted into my video. Which Im fine with, additionally the owners of that content can chose to not let it be used like this, in which case the video would have been deleted or the sound removed. I like the idea that its in the hands of the content owners, if they decided Im doing something wrong with my silly family video, then can exercise there rights and you-tube will cease and desist on their behalf. The content owner has lots of options, they can chose to let you use it, but with ads to itunes, or they can prevent you from EMBEDDING it in other pages, etc..

There is some amazing software behind this, all the checking and categorizing happened WHILE I was uploading the content, so its obviously an automated process.

I can always "swap" the audio (built in feature of youtube) with some content I own, etc..

Last edited:
Back